Did Someone Say Little Cars?

My wife found these 19 little cars at a yard sale today.  Five bucks for all 19.  Seventeen are the small size Tootsietoy brand and the two green ones in the upper left have the mark of a H inside a circle, not sure of that one.  If I find I like  to repaint toy cars I might be busy for quite a while!

6912E10A-E63E-43FA-94B0-51A495EB6C91.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

That was a great yard sale find!

Terry

It’s like going full circle.  When I was a kid I played with cars and built model cars.  As an adult it was owning, repairing and even doing some restoration work on the real thing. Now it’s back to the toy versions that require less investment and a whole lot less garage space!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, John S. said:

Terry, the H with a circle should be Hubley Toys. The two bottom right cars look like a pair of Studebaker Coupes. Nice score.

I was wondering too if it was Hubley too as they were made here in Lancaster county and many people locally collect their products.  Looking at YouTube I’m amazed at how many people refurbish these toys too.

I’ve been experimenting with ways to get the tires off the axles for paint removal and repainting.  These are the hard plastic tires, not the rubber ones like older tootsie toys used. I’ll post some pics later.

2 hours ago, TerryB said:

I’ve been experimenting with ways to get the tires off the axles for paint removal and repainting.  These are the hard plastic tires, not the rubber ones like older tootsie toys used. I’ll post some pics later.

Soak in hot water for a while. The tires should come off then.

6 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

Soak in hot water for a while. The tires should come off then.

Yes, one of the ideas I had too! Out in my garage hot water is not available so I came up with a way that uses a hammer, punch, metal spacer and glass cleaner liquid to act as a plastic lubricant.  If there is an opportunity to make it more complicated using tools, why not😀?   It’s my Tool Time version of solving a simple problem.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So the setup is a 1/2” long by 1/4” metal spacer, a small hammer, a punch with a flat bottom and a little tire lube like window cleaner.  Spray some window cleaner on the tire that’s coming off then hold the toy so that the tire to be removed is facing you.  The opposite side tire is on top of the metal spacer and the axle is in the center hole of the spacer.
 Put the punch on the axle end and hit it gently but firmly with the hammer.  That will push the axle almost all the way through the tire.  You can use a pointed punch to drive the axle farther through the tire or jus pull it off as I did.  Repeat for other side tire.  Assembly is similar but this time the loose tire is on top of the spacer and the hammer and punch are used to press the axle into the tire.  I did not see any issue with harming the metal axle support during this process.  It seems this process keeps the tire’s center from getting out of round.

2C65B174-9BE3-481A-A73D-E30347AB51A7.jpeg

60007333-812F-4378-BF81-0F15495740AA.jpeg

4BC0C61B-DA97-4FEA-B4C8-0B4DA063D20B.jpeg

CD47C002-CDB5-4247-A52D-26D37CAB4D9A.jpeg

• Thanks 1