Goodwin car collection - Frankfort, In

Barney Eaton

This is one of those "secret" collection that is open to the public but you need to call ahead. 

It started around the '50's collecting cars made in Indiana.  There is one or two Duesenberg's, Cord, Auburn, 

a couple of post war Indy race cars, couple of 40 Cadillacs, Packard, and a Plymouth woody that the body was 

made in Frankfort by US Body and Forge (known locally as USHCO)  a collection of old bikes, an early motorized hearse 

also a horse drawn hearse.  all packed into a rather small building. 

Goodwin Funeral home has the collection across the street from the funeral home and they are very nice about 

showing visitors the collection ....if there is no funeral at the time you want to visit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/13/2021 at 6:43 AM, Mike "Hubbie" Stearns said:

I live about 30 minutes away and never heard of it. Thanks for posting. I’ll have to check it out

Best to call the Funeral Home ahead to make sure there is no funeral or visitation. I guess it is safe to say that it is open “by appointment”.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Peter Gariepy changed the title to Goodwin car collection - Frankfort, In
  • 1 year later...

I know they had a Miller and believe it was green..... never saw the engine.  

Also don't think they are buying or selling anything so it is probably there. 

The Son-in-law that now runs the place (who's name is Miller) is more active in old cars 

than this father in law.   They have a Packard, think it is a '33 that they drive on tours. 

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)

The Auburn Speedster was my dad's.  He sold it to them in 1958 and they held on to it for almost 60s years.  It is now in a very large collection in NY state.

My dad bought the car in 1955 from Sheldon Smith of NY, brought it to the 1957 reunion driving all the way from Massachusetts.   He then restored the car and went back in 1958 and won his class.   On his way out of town,  Mr Goodwin was sitting on the side of the road in his limousine.   His chauffeur waved my father down.   He made him an offer he couldn't refuse:  $2500 and a plane ticket back to Boston.

DadsSpeedster1958.jpg

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I graduated from Frankfort in 1957 and some of my male classmates worked for Goodwin.... at that time funeral homes had the local ambulance service. 

The high school guys stayed at the funeral home and if an accident call came in they drove the ambulance to the home or wreck. 

Goodwin had a '56 Cadillac ambulance that was unique... it was red and white and the vehicle had chrome fire extinguishers on both sides is a pocket 

just in front of the rear tail lights.    I suspect Goodwin has a picture of it but I have never seen a picture of it or similar ambulance. 

Here are some photos from the Goodwin collection   The white race car on the lift looks like a front wheel drive (Miller)

DSCN0767.JPG

DSCN0769.JPG

DSCN0772.JPG

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)
  • Like 2