Delaware salvage title

Oldsfan

Does anyone have experience with Delaware salvage branded titles? Back in September, I bought a car at a Delaware estate sale and was presented with what I thought was a clean title branded as "antique." I submitted my paperwork to PENNDOT and they rejected it, claiming the title is branded as "salvage." They apparently ran the serial number through some third party clearing house that shows a salvage branded title, even though the title does not state so. A salvage title was not disclosed at the time of sale - they may not have even been aware of it even though the estate was for the auctioneer's father. Now I must jump through hoops and spend extra money to get a title which very well may show a "reconstructed" brand. Had I known about the salvage brand at the time of purchase I probably would have passed on the car. I certainly wouldn't had paid what I did. I'm wondering if the salvage brand found by the third party is an error on Delaware's part, and why salvage doesn't show on the title.

Why and when did it get the salvage title?  Sounds like some insurance issue where it was totaled for something, maybe even hail damage or something similar. Some type of trail should exist for the designation.

here's how it works here in delaware. salvage branding on title is not effected by amount of damage.if the car title passes thru an insurace company for any reason, it will be considered salvage.i worked at a dealer that sold mostly salvage titled cars. funny thing was, if we sold one into state of maryland or virginia, they got regular titles in those states as often as not. if a car is a recovered theft, it got a salvage title, and many of those had no damage at all!. i've seen cars with damp carpets from leaving the windows down issued flood titles as well. we sold a lot of repeat customers because if they went to trade one in at another dealer, they would be offered half what the car was worth because of salvage title. then they would come bace and see us, buy another for way below market, and get a much better trade value.