N Y Times Quote of the Day is By Steve Moskowitz

oldcarfudd

40 minutes ago, oldcarfudd said:

Check out the N Y Times website, nytimes.com.  There's a long, and sad, and funny, article about Yugo.  Steve is prominently quoted, and was the paper's Quotation of the Day in the pint edition.

Normally I'd avoid articles about the Yugo, but the "pint edition" version, Ill read 3-4 times. :)

You can Google the article and get it without an account.  As usual, I do not believe the writer got my quote correctly about Jay.  Yes, I felt his jokes really hurt sales but I do not believe I attributed the failures to him and him alone.  If I had a chance to proof the story I would have taken the word personally out of it. There was more to the story than that...just reminds me once again to be more careful talking to the press.  In any case the NYT is sinking pretty low to interview me.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• Steve Moskowitz changed the title to N Y Times Quote of the Day is By Steve Moskowitz
On 6/11/2021 at 9:38 AM, Bills Auto Works said:

Trust me Steve,

That "Bird Cage Lining Rag" had to step up to interview you!

I'm with Bill on that. Nevertheless, congrats to Steve on the media exposure and thanks to him for sharing his expertise with the world.

• Like 2

Made me smile, t

38 minutes ago, JamesR said:

I'm with Bill on that. Nevertheless, congrats to Steve on the media exposure and thanks to him for sharing his expertise with the world.

Made me smile, when I was at GM we always said we wanted recognition not exposure! :) I have been quoted by a lot of newspapers and magazines and I swear not one ever got it straight.  I had to reach out to Jay tell him that I did not mean he personally caused the demise of the Yugo but having the car made the butt of jokes did not help matters at all and I felt had a disastrous effect on the product..  Told Jay I would not have wanted him as my marketing manager.  Anyway, it was at a time that Olds was declining and good used cars were difficult to find so I took the gamble along with getting the DeLorean franchise.  I hit the trifecta at the end so do not seek entrepreneurial advice from me!  

• Like 2

Jay Leno used to practice or test out his jokes for his show on Sundays at the Comedy and Magic Club in Hermosa Beach. Riding my bike by there once a Rolls Royce was pulling up in front of the place to park. As I rode by it and looked down Jay was behind the wheel.

Comedian Jim McDonald - Posts | Facebook

Edited by mike6024 (see edit history)

My uncle Peter worked for Malcolm Bricklin over many years, including the Yugo period. Later in life, he was part of a team that successfully drag-raced Yugos in bracket racing. They made the front page of the Wall Street Journal, in the human interest column:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB927584783349821184

While I could not read the entire story the thought of a Yugo drag racing made me smile.  I had a technician in my Honda store who put a big block V-8 in a Honda 600 coupe.  Seeing him get in the car or I should say on the engine was  a hoot.  There are always guys willing to do the impossible. 

• Like 2

Steve as a kid speed was king!  I built a Ford 289 to over 490 horse power and dropped into an Austin Healy. Broke every spoke in the wire wheels if I popped it in first gear. Smoked the tires in 4th doing 60!

Wasn't doing crazy stuff like that just part of the car hobby “back in the day”?