It's the Driveshaft, Stupid!

rmartens

For those who have been following my pathetic saga with my '56 Century with the Dynaflow...

Over two years ago I first posted about bad transmission noises and no action at the rear wheels. Finally got the tranny out this fall, disassembled it and found no problems. Pulled the driveshaft out this weekend--and there are literally NO splines left at the tail (female) end of the driveshaft! I don't know how it held together as long as it did. A few weeks ago I had torqued on it with with 18" of leverage and didn't get any slippage, but I guess I can't match the torque of the 322!

I still can't explain how two relatively car savy guys could hear the noise and be sure it was in the tranny...the driveshaft and torque tube must really telegraph that information forward...

Now what?

Does anyone specialize in rebuilding these driveshafts? Or should a local driveshaft company be able to rebuild it? Does anyone have one for sale?

Thanks,

Rick

Rick

Don't feel bad at least your problem wasn't right in front of you exposed. If I had a nickel for everything that caused me grief that was simple I'd have several more cars!

Any ideas?

I did find that the female end of the u-joint at the transmission is the same size/spline count as the tail end of the driveshaft. If I could locate another one of those could I just get it cut off and welded in place of the worn one--assuming rebalancing, of course?

Thanks

Rick