Passed me on a trailer - 1957 Olds

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Passed me on a trailer - 1957 Olds

Ninety Eight no less. One of those cars that looks like it's traveling 90mph sitting still.

Thx for photo, good catch.

I still see fantastic beasts on the roads here. Headed to a pottery festival in Eden NC Saturday I encountered a sharp mid-60s Rambler wagon headed opposite direction.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, John348 said:

The GM four door hardtops look great, the rear window of the Old's makes the roof line even better

Agreed. Very few more-doors look good. This is one of the few of a very select group.

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, mobileparts said:

Hope it is staying here in the United  States  --- but it is probably being trailered to the port --- to go on the next container to Sweden -- to join the 90 % of the 1957 & 1958 Oldsmobiles that still exist on this planet....

Craig, that was my first thought too. At least the Norse have good taste in cars...

• Like 3

Rocketraider,

Agreed !!! I service so many Swedish customers (predominantly  at Carlisle  & HERSHEY --- In ** Normal ** years...) --- Kjell., Petr., Henrik, Stefan, Tomas., Anders, Stig,. & many many more !!!

I can do a really good English speaking Swedish person accent !!!  Those guys are all Great !!!

And, the last decade, (except last year...), truly 50 % of my sales at HERSHEY  are International.....

• Like 1

18 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

Beautiful 57. Too bad it's on a trailer and not being driven.

Could be that someone just bought a new toy. But if that's the case, yes, hopefully the new owner will drive the car on at least a semi-regular basis.

I agree about the three piece rear windows being very cool on these cars. Somewhat ironic that GM probably thought the one piece of glass that wrapped around all the way was more spectacular on post-'57 Olds and post-'63 Corvettes. It probably was spectacular to new car customers in '58 and '64, but so many of us now like the effect of the dividers (or whatever you call them.) Same with all those windshields back in the late '40's and early '50's.

It was a good looking car. Lots of reasons it could be on a trailer in Idaho. Owners could be searching for a shop that will work on it. And do the work, and finish the work. Not because they do not have the ability. But because this state is so divided in the treatment of people. Yes it is that bad. Thanks to the moderates for fixing my spelling. Brain fart on that one. Still recovering from the phycological assault. But not to get off topic, Oldsmobile had good looking four door hardtops.

When I find myself getting teary eyed about cars leaving our shores for Europe, Asia and Down Under, I have to catch myself. If our hobby is to survive, it has to be world wide. Frankly speaking there are just too many good cars, in the US, for their diminishing fan base. When the value gets too low for the original car to be sustainable, in steps the street rodder/customizer. I have nothing against that segment of the hobby until they start tearing apart good original or restored cars. I just want a little balance, which I feel the overseas owner seems to be geared to. They buy just the best cars because the lack of parts make restoring very expensive.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, pkhammer said:

Gotta love the style. Look at the rear window(s) and the exhaust ports! Very stylish.

The 57 Buick had the same rear window treatment. I had a 57 Olds Ninety Eight Holiday Coupe with the J2 package (3, 2bl carburetors) back in the day. Fantastic car. 

5 minutes ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

When I find myself getting teary eyed about cars leaving our shores for Europe, Asia and Down Under, I have to catch myself. If our hobby is to survive, it has to be world wide. Frankly speaking there are just too many good cars, in the US, for their diminishing fan base. When the value gets too low for the original car to be sustainable, in steps the street rodder/customizer. I have nothing against that segment of the hobby until they start tearing apart good original or restored cars. I just want a little balance, which I feel the overseas owner seems to be geared to. They buy just the best cars because the lack of parts make restoring very expensive.

5 minutes ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

Having brought quite a few cars from US  to Uk , mainly because there was a supply , whereas limited and dearer in Uk . I think one of the reasons is the high cost of restoration in US due to labour and high cost of parts , both new and used and as mentioned a decline in the hobby , probably a generation thing .

However I think we are seeing similar problems and decline in UK , but luckily some of Europe particularly the Scandinavian countries , where economy is strong there  is a growth area for restored cars . 

• Like 1

On 6/9/2021 at 3:33 PM, hook said:

The 57 Buick had the same rear window treatment....

I have a 1957 Buick (pictured) with the same rear-window

contours and division strips. 

In 1957, Chrysler Corp. came out with their far advanced

styling, leaving G. M. behind.  Chrysler Corp. had the slogan

for their cars, "Suddenly it's 1960!"  They made fun of the

G. M. divided rear window, seemingly a retrograde step,

with the jibe, "Suddenly it's 1949!"

1957 Buick-mine 8a.JPG

• Like 4

On 6/10/2021 at 4:52 AM, Buffalowed Bill said:

Bill,

Wait till Australia starts driving on the Left like Sweden did in the ‘60’s. Then you will have something to worry about. But don’t stress too much, we will leave you with all the Fords 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

(from down under )

BTW At a country swapmeet in the ‘90s a gentleman bought a 1937/38 Chevrolet utility which had the Australian built Holden coupe utility body. Apparently according to the buyer, this body style was never offered for sale in the USA or Canada. It was a tidy vehicle, complete but needed restoration or work to preserve it.  And the destination it was going to? Yup to the USA,  you got one of ours!

Photos of the Chevrolet utilities taken from the book, “History of Holden since 1917” by Norm Darwin.

Also know of a supplier who sends early English Morris and Austin cars back to the UK, as ours don’t suffer the rust issues over here!

F589D254-DA9D-4F2F-8A4E-306BC2DFF83C.jpeg

056A7D4F-DA4E-4438-A42C-4914B5A5FD5A.jpeg

On 6/9/2021 at 3:33 PM, hook said:

The 57 Buick had the same rear window treatment. I had a 57 Olds Ninety Eight Holiday Coupe with the J2 package (3, 2bl carburetors) back in the day. Fantastic car. 

Here's my baby back in the day

57-J2.jpg

6A.jpg

57 Olds, 58 Plymouth.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rocketraider said:

Which was faster? J2 Olds or finny Plymouth?

Your kidding right? That Mopar was done as soon as the flag went down. It was only running a 318 with a two speed torque flight. I used to tangle with a 57 Buick. With that Dynaflow transmission, I'd leave him sitting at the line, but at 90 mph he'd pass me like a rabbit. It was a strain but manageable to beat him in the quarter, but if I raced him to double ought all I'd see was Buick tail lights. 

• Haha 1