how to operate 1930 model 47 buick

Posted (edited)

Put car in neutral. Retard spark (lever on steering column). Advance throttle (other lever on steering column). Pull out choke (upper left on dash) .Turn on ignition key. Push starter button on floor. When it fires, advance the spark and slowly release the choke.

This is assuming the car is already in running order. If it hasn't run in years, change out all fluids, drop the oil pan to check for rust and sludge, and the fuel system should be flushed out. 

Also,if you Google "1930 Buick start-up" there is a video showing what I described above.

"Reference Books" or owner's manuals are readily available on Ebay and elsewhere.

When you get to the driving stage, you'll find shifting easier if you double clutch.

Good luck with your new purchase.

Jim

Edited by J.H.Boland (see edit history)
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, J.H.Boland said:

Put car in neutral. Retard spark (lever on steering column). Advance throttle (other lever on steering column). Pull out choke (right of steering wheel on dash) .Turn on ignition key. Flip ignition switch up to “ON”. Push starter button on floor. When it fires, advance the spark and slowly release the choke.

This is assuming the car is already in running order. If it hasn't run in years, change out all fluids, drop the oil pan to check for rust and sludge, and the fuel system should be flushed out. 

Also,if you Google "1930 Buick start-up" there is a video showing what I described above.

"Reference Books" or owner's manuals are readily available on Ebay and elsewhere.

When you get to the driving stage, you'll find shifting easier if you double clutch.

Good luck with your new purchase.

Jim

A couple of changes to the above.

Didn't these early Buicks have a different shift pattern than standard?   Weren't they  1st right and down, second, left and up , third left and down , reverse right and up? When did the pattern change to the standard?

Yes, but that changed in, I think, 1928. My '25 is backwards, with first being where third should be. My '29 was standard H.

• Like 2

Buick was late in adopting the standard shift. This book was published in 1915. The first 4 illustrations are 3 speed patterns, the rest are 4 speed. The third one became the standard shift, and by 1915 it was already being used by Cadillac, Apperson, Winton, Oldsmobile, Thomas and a lot more. There were hundreds of car companies back then and by 1915 many were using the standard. Buick? Not so much.

StandardShift.jpg