1931 Hupmobile model S top insert

48special

Hello all , I recently purchased a 1931 Hupmobile Century Six Sedan and the outside top insert is damaged.  What is the correct grain pattern?  It currently has the remnants of the long grain pattern that you would find on a model A.  Is this correct?  I’m new to Hupmobiles so I am unsure.  Also where is the best place to find the material?  Thank you in advance, Jeff

I suggest that you join the Hupmobile club right away. They have individuals available for answering fellow club members questions, with different folks specializing in different models and years. There will be a few Model S experienced folks willing to help you there. 

• Like 1

About 20  years  ago I  picked  up  a  Model  S  body that  was  removed to  use the  frame  for  a roadster.  I  have  a  good frame  that  the  body  will go on. The  top  material is  original and  it  has  no  pattern, its  all smooth. If  I  was to  do  your  top, I  would  use  smooth black  vinyl. It  would not  need  any sealing like the  canvas that was  used  originally. You  should  be  able to  buy this  material form a company  that  installs convertible tops.

Thank you both for your replies.  I had my application in to join the Hupmobile Club before I even had the car in my possession.  I look forward to the magazine and the technical help. 

• Like 1