Jump to content

walk in the south of France


Recommended Posts

Hello everyone, here are some pictures of the little walk we did on Saturday June 5th with my brother and my uncle :) 
The meeting point was in the town of "la Salvetat Saint Gilles" not far from Toulouse in the south of France.
First, a short stop at the gas station with my uncle's Renault 5 Alpine Turbo 1984 and my brother's 1984 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.6L.

 

SAM_8564.JPG.96ee45bf56ebfaef74be7c051e4b9d2e.JPG

 

And off we go to " La Salvetat Saint Gilles "

 

SAM_8568.JPG.47a955fec0d7a138e7d6c625830fae9a.JPG

 

SAM_8571.JPG.1693d9089bf0714d4c6c7471fdfefc47.JPG

 

Arrived at " La Salvetat Saint Gilles 

 

SAM_8574.JPG.b2e958d12aa46fad500c41f6e4441dd5.JPG

 

SAM_8575.JPG.45865f59525d49a63a1b34b024e7dd96.JPGSAM_8576.JPG.ac7ebc32adca11bfcaea99923044f71e.JPG

 

SAM_8577.JPG.567c98f9dc00ebd85ae039edcfb3ffcc.JPG

 

SAM_8578.JPG.55073094c3b204cb412f6cb219ed59f6.JPG

 

 

 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree totally GREAT PHOTOS thanks so much for sharing the experience.

Love the Renault station wagon ( or any station wagon, any year)

that multicolor cow would be the absolute best thing to have at your space at Hershey . I can imagine it now - someone saying " meet me at the Bovine"

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Walt G said:

I agree totally GREAT PHOTOS thanks so much for sharing the experience.

Love the Renault station wagon ( or any station wagon, any year)

that multicolor cow would be the absolute best thing to have at your space at Hershey . I can imagine it now - someone saying " meet me at the Bovine"

 

Yes this multicolored cow would make a nice decoration :D.
Thank you very much to you ;) , yes this Renault has been completely restored, it is very beautiful  :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As always, a treat for the eyes. Never been to the Continent and have realised I'm no longer likely to, but your pictures of France and European cars take me there! You've shown me cars I never knew existed.

 

Sebastien, looking at those narrow roads I see why you left the Electra at home!😎

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

As always, a treat for the eyes. Never been to the Continent and have realised I'm no longer likely to, but your pictures of France and European cars take me there! You've shown me cars I never knew existed.

 

Sebastien, looking at those narrow roads I see why you left the Electra at home!😎

 

Thank you very much rocketraider :) , it is with pleasure that I show you these photos ;)
Indeed the roads are narrow but you can go there by American car :)
I haven't finished restoring my Buick Electra, that's why I didn't take it.
My Buick is being painted at the bodybuilder :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Pilgrim65 said:

Jaime le sud de France , Merci 

je voudrais Renault Floride caravelle pour ma classique en angleterre 😁

 

Merci beaucoup Pilgrim65 ;) , and I see that you speak very well in French ;) .

My grandpa wanted a Renault Caravelle when he was young, but he couldn't have one, and it's a very nice car.
A friend of my cousin took a Renault Floride out of a broken barn, it is not in good condition and the engine is missing. But he may sell it or restore it ;) 

 

Here are some pictures of the Renault Floride out of the barn :

 

IMG_20151220_140302.jpg.98151fb02f65948633268b2cc8fe91fc.jpg

 

IMG_20151220_140312.jpg.3cb11770f4d538e675f6ce6354c04b88.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Are local people there friendly when a group of car people visit villages or restaurants? Most here like the old cars but there are always some who see us as a nuisance 🙄.

 

 

It's really a shame the R5 wasn't marketed here as a hot hatch, instead of as an economy commuter car. LeCar could have been LeBadass.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for sharing your day on tour, looks like a good time for all.   

 

Simca should have tried selling the Versailles V8 in the American market, might well have found some acceptance.

Simca Versailles V8 front.jpg

Simca Versailles V8 rear.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Thanks for sharing your day on tour, looks like a good time for all.   

 

Simca should have tried selling the Versailles V8 in the American market, might well have found some acceptance.

 

 

Wasn't it only 60hp based on the early flathead design?

 

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Thanks for sharing your day on tour, looks like a good time for all.   

 

Simca should have tried selling the Versailles V8 in the American market, might well have found some acceptance.

Simca Versailles V8 front.jpg

Simca Versailles V8 rear.jpg

They were sold in Canada as Vedettes.  Had a 2.4 litre 60 horse flathead V8.  Basically the ame engine used in the English Ford Pilot up to 1951.

Edited by dictator27 (see edit history)
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, rocketraider said:

Are local people there friendly when a group of car people visit villages or restaurants? Most here like the old cars but there are always some who see us as a nuisance 🙄.

 

 

It's really a shame the R5 wasn't marketed here as a hot hatch, instead of as an economy commuter car. LeCar could have been LeBadass.

 

Hello, yes people are happy to see us in the villages, it makes life and a lot of people come to see :)
Yes indeed there was the renault 5 "LeCar" which was marketed in America, but it was a small version. There was the Renault 5 Alpine, the Renault 5 Alpine Turbo, the Renault 5 Coupe (yellow and red) and the renault 5 Turbo 1 and turbo 2. All this version was a sporty version of the Renault 5, it was very popular in the 1980s / 1990s.
There have been many who have participated in rally races, and there have been great drivers like Mr. Ragnotti who drive a Renault 5 Maxi Turbo

 

01.jpg.f3743622f8c67e69dc3cb3d0f4040e32.jpg

 

3694958599_569543481d_b.jpg.4b250e76f487487d9a66bc3f83ed25f1.jpg

 

jean-ragnotti-renault-r5-turbo.jpg.e0d9e94412c17a341ef4a9b16a0582d1.jpg

 

MjAxOTEwYjExMTJhZjBiNDJlOGM3ZTk4YTZkNTZlOGQ4YmFlM2I.jpg.cab23f7f801bb43fcc3af4efbe8d451c.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Thanks for sharing your day on tour, looks like a good time for all.   

 

Simca should have tried selling the Versailles V8 in the American market, might well have found some acceptance.

Simca Versailles V8 front.jpg

Simca Versailles V8 rear.jpg

 

Thank you very much ;) , the Simca Versaille (and the Chambord and Ariane model too) was the little chevrolet belair 1955/56 in the french style. 
Simca had made a model that looks like an American car, and it was a big hit, it was a luxury car with a lot of options.
The V8 is a small Ford V8 that was fitted to the Ford Vedette ;)
I will post pictures of the engine soon :) 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, 414TATA said:

Thank you . Enjoyed the tour. 👍🙂 

 

11 hours ago, car crazy said:

Thanks for sharing- what a great escape to the south of France via your pictures!

 

 

Thank you very much ! ;) 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, mike6024 said:

This was actually a well engineered car. I had one for several years. Huge amount of storage space. And would get 40 mpg on the freeway and reach at least 95 mph.

 

Renault Encore:picture # 13 , reviews, news, specs, buy car

 

Was it a good car, was yours bought new in America or was it an import ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, sebastienbuick said:

 

Merci beaucoup Pilgrim65 ;) , and I see that you speak very well in French ;) .

My grandpa wanted a Renault Caravelle when he was young, but he couldn't have one, and it's a very nice car.
A friend of my cousin took a Renault Floride out of a broken barn, it is not in good condition and the engine is missing. But he may sell it or restore it ;) 

 

Here are some pictures of the Renault Floride out of the barn :

 

IMG_20151220_140302.jpg.98151fb02f65948633268b2cc8fe91fc.jpg

 

IMG_20151220_140312.jpg.3cb11770f4d538e675f6ce6354c04b88.jpg

Salut Sebastian 

thanks , think the caravelle soft top typical french / Mediterranean car of the 60s/70s   period , which I think was also the best period for visiting the south of France , when it still maintained the special ambiance, places like st Tropaz , St Raphael, Cannes , Aix , Grasse,  je Liame beacoup 😊

I used to speak pretty good french as I had a wonderful Parisien girlfriend , who I should have married , big regret 😢 cest la vie .

A bein tot 

paul

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for all those excellent photos. 

 

Its great to see photos of cars and commercial vehicles of ALL years, which include vehicles that were never sold here in North America (except St.Pierre & Miquelon).

 

Craig

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...