Evaporust

Posted (edited)

Since many of you have shared your successful experience with evaporust for cleaning out cooling systems,,,,,,and just running it straight  I became aware of another product  that the company also makes  specifically for cooling systems      thromo cure      I contacted the manufacture and asked what the difference is   since doing a 3 to 5 gallon system get expensive  see Mr Harris response to me

Robert,

Thermocure is designed to be ran through the entire cooling system of a running engine where there is heat and pressure. 

Evapo-Rust and Thermocure are similar.  Thermocure is a concentrated version of Evapo-Rust designed for a 2.5-3 gallon cooling system.  They work the same way, but the Thermocure is a little more economical.

Thanks,

Billy Allen

Marketing and Customer Relations Director

HARRIS INTERNATIONAL LABORATORIES, INC.

2078 FORD AVENUE │ SPRINGDALE, AR 72764

PHONE: 479.756.9877 │FAX: 479.927.3202

Edited by broker-len (see edit history)
  • Like 5

18 minutes ago, edinmass said:

So, pre war cars......evapo rust it is!

The operative words are  "and pressure."  Almost all pre-war cars lack pressurized cooling systems....

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

just went through the same Q&A a while back on the 1930. 1930 Chevrolet flushed out system and ran Thermocure in it till recently. it did a great job cleaning out the cooling system in the engine. i then flushed it out with distilled water, and then filled it up with a 50/50 mix of distilled and green antifreeze. been running cool and great since. 

i pick up evaporust when Amazon has a deal on it. in fact i have used it to clean up many a part on both the 1929 and 30 !! got a fresh gallon recently and waiting to be used. 

they also do demos and such as shows, they were at Carlisle in 2019 and had stuff on display and actual containers of it on the tables with parts in it, and parts laying around you could put in and try. also gave out small sample bottles ;)

I would use whichever was on sale, and considering as noted above most of these older cars are not pressurized.

Edited by BearsFan315 (see edit history)

Thanks for reminding me that I need to change to evapo-rust for the season in my old Ford. What I like about the standard stuff is that you can leave it in the system for very long periods of time. I don't know if you can do that with Thermocure or not. If anyone knows, please tell me.

I ran Thermocure over a period of 1-2 months at a time and then drained and refilled with more Thermocure in my ‘51 Dodge Meadowbrook. I talked about this in my thread called “Summer of Exploration” in the Our Cars section. I didn’t know how to add the link here but I’m sure you can find it. It was in 2018. My car was overheating like crazy and as the days and weeks went on it would start getting cooler and cooler. I had to replace a couple of freeze plugs because as the buildup cleaned away from the walls it revealed some corroded plugs. The inside of that water jacket looks brand new and the brass sleeve was not damaged in any way. 

4D471AFB-B8C1-4265-B0D0-89076B21E158.jpeg

64A1964A-462B-4450-AA8D-018F3EE8318D.jpeg

Edited by Fleetwood Meadow (see edit history)
  • Like 2