1976 Pontiac Trans Am 400 Four Speed

I love this car.  Somebody tell me what is wrong with it.   I don't see the PHS docs.?     Be better off with the W72?   Not a 455HO?   Kerry - what do you think?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1976-Pontiac-Trans-Am-/334027087945

76 PONTIAC TRANS AM and loaded with options ! • The most Iconic 70's muscle car
• Pontiac High-Output 400cid V8
• Optional M-21 4-speed close ratio Manual Transmission
• Pontiac Heavy Duty Rear Differential
• Pontiac's Radial Tuned Suspension
• Mirror Finish Firethorn red paint with Black and Gold Phoenix, professionally show waxed and detailed
• Iconic Shaker Hood with "400" Callouts
• Optional rear defroster
• Original Carmine white bucket seat interior w/ factory console & deluxe door panels
• Machine Turned Aluminum Rally dash W/factory gauges inc 8K RPM Tach & 100 MPH speedo
• 3-Spoke leather wrapped Trans Am Steering wheel
• Optional Ice-cold Air-Conditioning
• Original Delco AM radio
• Show ready detailed engine compartment
• Power front Disc Brakes
• Ultra-sharp Power Steering
• Optional 15" "Honeycomb" wheels w/ raised white letter radials
• Great sounding factory dual exhaust
• Pontiac 400cid High-Output V8, 4-speed Manual, Firethorn red and that Iconic black and gold Phoenix!
• Show or drive this collector quality, investment grade '76 Pontiac Trans Am

TransAm-76.jpg

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I don't know if there is anything "wrong" with it, but I do wonder why they didn't replace the shoulder belt loops on the seat backs.

Those loops are available for less than $10 each from Ames Performance and other companies.

I believe there should only be 2 screws attaching the lower (plastic) trim panel to the doors; one at the front of the panel and one at the rear.

I wonder why there are several added screws on both door panels?

I would also want to see detailed under-car and engine compartment photos, the engine ID number and the PHS docs.

It certainly is a good looking car!

• Thanks 1

Small unfinished details like those belt loops on an otherwise excellent looking car, are anathema to me.

Like you said, Seller could correct for it for a pittance and not have to use the words "except for".

1 hour ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

I might want to know more about the ability to smoke up those El Dorado radial T/A tires...  😎

Of course you are absloutely right!

😄

I think what I have learned here is the Firethorn red looks great with the white interior and honeycomb wheels.   But this car is not the 455HO or the W72 400 and is missing paperwork which holds it back.   Also,  in the TA market,  the Y84 "Bandit" cars rule for value.

4 speed is the value, car looks to be in great condition. With a car like this, or most trans ams, paper work doesnt mean that much. The vin and body tag will tell you most of what you need to know-if its a real trans am, what motor came with it, colour. Most of the time you will need paperwork to verify if it is a true Special Edition car, which have higher values than non s.e.'s. In this case they are not claiming the car to be one so no harm no foul. Although I have PHS for my cars, they really dont tell all that much. For a 76 t/a a 455 (final year) is the prime target. I would have to double check but I dont think the w72 option came out until 1977. I am thinking the 77 w72 had the same or comparible h/p-torque specs to the 76 455.

Yea, they could have added the shoulder strap guides for a few bucks, kinda silly not to. As to 'all of the screws' in the lower door panel, looks like they have 1 extra. Stock should be something like 4 of them. Those lower panels are repro'd now but just recently. The originals warp pretty bad along that seem, get brittle and crack easily. Explains the extra screw.

• Like 2

On 6/8/2021 at 1:19 PM, alsancle said:

That’s what I told him.

Paperwork is more important to me than the actual car.

15 years ago I bought a 1976 Pontiac Trans Am. Ordered and sold new less than 5 miles from where it spent it's time with the original owner until he passed. He ordered it with the 455, 4 speed manual, A/C, no console, very sparse. White with red vinyl interior/ multi color  screaming chicken decals. I bought it out of the barn on his estate farm that it sat in far too long with a leaky roof. Car was near scrap, but paperwork, GM Vintage Vehicle documents and local folklore around the "last of the 455's" sold in our area made me buy it. It was only a mile down from my place so I was 1st there. Had to buy a good solid Western dry car to get  decent body panels, and many other parts. Before I could get it in a shop for resto a local guy came to the door who had a much closer connection to the car. He had been driving past it in my driveway and when he seen me show up driving the donor car he ended up buying the pair.

Buying one like this feature car is far less expensive and most of all, turn key.

54 minutes ago, Ed Luddy said:

15 years ago I bought a 1976 Pontiac Trans Am. Ordered and sold new less than 5 miles from where it spent it's time with the original owner until he passed. He ordered it with the 455, 4 speed manual, A/C, no console, very sparse. White with red vinyl interior/ multi color  screaming chicken decals. I bought it out of the barn on his estate farm that it sat in far too long with a leaky roof. Car was near scrap, but paperwork, GM Vintage Vehicle documents and local folklore around the "last of the 455's" sold in our area made me buy it. It was only a mile down from my place so I was 1st there. Had to buy a good solid Western dry car to get  decent body panels, and many other parts. Before I could get it in a shop for resto a local guy came to the door who had a much closer connection to the car. He had been driving past it in my driveway and when he seen me show up driving the donor car he ended up buying the pair.

Buying one like this feature car is far less expensive and most of all, turn key.

Understood.

My reasoning on cars in the muscelcar era is that you can fix anything but missing paperwork and non-matching vin stamped components.    You are correct, that in the end you are underwater,  but you can make the same mistakes on car without the provenance and matching pieces.    I figure, at least start with the right car.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, alsancle said:

Understood.

My reasoning on cars in the muscelcar era is that you can fix anything but missing paperwork and non-matching vin stamped components.    You are correct, that in the end you are underwater,  but you can make the same mistakes on car without the provenance and matching pieces.    I figure, at least start with the right car.

Yes exactly that! Start with the right car. The restoration cost is going to be the same as a "clone" or "recreation"

• Like 1

I watched "Smokey and the Bandit" last night for the first time in 25 years.   Burt Reynolds acting seemed to basically consist of smiling and laughing - but he was good at it.  Sally was cute.

It has always bugged me they used an automatic but made the sounds and action seem like a stick car.   But otherwise you walk away from the movie thinking,  "I would like one of those Bandit SE cars".

Somebody correct me,  but apples to apples doesn't the Y82 option increase the price by 50-100%?

smokey-and-the-bandit-transam-2b.jpg

50% anyway.  I have heard that the soundtrack from two lane black top was dubbed in for the motor. Movie is def campy, But I still watch it whenever its on. The cars in the move were supposed to be 76's with 77 noses applied. In a couple of scenes you can def see that the car is a 76 with honeycomb wheels.

• Like 1

Watching movies can make one do stupid sh**.  Got this at age 13 or so, for spending a Saturday afternoon or two helping a family friend cut firewood.  Right out of the barn.  It was already filled where emblem would go, I stripped and did that.  Wish I let it be 45 years on...

Back to 'birds.  Watched a couple of Rockfords recently, great cars, Garner was a car guy...but horrible acting!!  

20210617_133405.jpg

• 1 month later...