1929 Packard Model 626 rumble seat roadster - Sold for $28.5k

Sold for $28.5k.  Needed some work but overall a LOT of potential.  According to the auctioneer, the engine turned over and fired, but wouldn't stay running.  This was the case with many of the vehicles from the same collection. My guess would be old gas, gummed up carb, etc.  At least some of the cars (including this one,) had evidence of smoke damage.  They said they had been involved in a warehouse fire sometime in the past.  They had a restoration shop clean up the cars, buff the paint, etc.  Fire couldn't have been too bad as there was no evidence of burning or scorching, and soft tops and interiors were all intact.  

https://live.proxibid.com/BidderWeb/main.do?auctionId=201078&wo=false#

Edited by George Cole (see edit history)
  • Like 1

George,

An interesting comparison would be this and the Stutz.   Packard has wider net and is simpler.    Stutz is cooler with the SOHC.

I think this link will work better:

https://www.proxibid.com/Collector-Cars/Antique-Cars/1929-Packard-Model-626/lotInformation/61691938

* NO RESERVE from the Estate of Gordon R. Granger * Mileage Exempt | Odometer Reads 25,310 * Straight 8 319.2ci Engine with 90hp * Manual 3F/1R Transmission * Wire Wheels * Rumble Seat * Rear Mounted Spare * Front (not present) and Rear Bumper Guards * Non Operable | Working Battery | Engine Cleaned | Paint Cleaned & Buffed | Interior Cleaned | Chrome Cleaned & Polished | Wheels & Tires Cleaned * Please Note: in the absence of Mr. Granger, we have done our best to properly identify and describe this vehicle; however, we ask that you remember you are purchasing this vehicle as is where is and based solely upon your own inspection.

Packard626-1.jpg

55 minutes ago, alsancle said:

George,

An interesting comparison would be this and the Stutz.   Packard has wider net and is simpler.    Stutz is cooler with the SOHC.

I think this link will work better:

https://www.proxibid.com/Collector-Cars/Antique-Cars/1929-Packard-Model-626/lotInformation/61691938

* NO RESERVE from the Estate of Gordon R. Granger * Mileage Exempt | Odometer Reads 25,310 * Straight 8 319.2ci Engine with 90hp * Manual 3F/1R Transmission * Wire Wheels * Rumble Seat * Rear Mounted Spare * Front (not present) and Rear Bumper Guards * Non Operable | Working Battery | Engine Cleaned | Paint Cleaned & Buffed | Interior Cleaned | Chrome Cleaned & Polished | Wheels & Tires Cleaned * Please Note: in the absence of Mr. Granger, we have done our best to properly identify and describe this vehicle; however, we ask that you remember you are purchasing this vehicle as is where is and based solely upon your own inspection.

Packard626-1.jpg

I'm really kicking myself that I wasn't in a position to make a move on them.  They both appear to be outstanding cars in different ways.  I would love to have the pair sitting side-by-side in my garage. 

According to the auctioneer, this was a court-ordered sale from the Granger estate, so no reserves.  Apparently the estate was either in probate court, or the will was contested and being settled in court.  Regardless, it was an opportunity to pick up several rare and desirable cars at entry-level prices.  I haven't even mentioned what was perhaps the best deal of the day...the original Captain America bike from the last scene in the movie 'Easy Rider,'  where it was burned. 

• George Cole changed the title to 1929 Packard Model 626 rumble seat roadster - Sold for $28.5k