53 special riv

NC-car-guy

Made a deal sight unseen on a fairly solid (needs floor pans) 53 special 2 door sedan with a salvage title. Motor turns but not running. Bought it cheap for flipping or part out. Well guys, I got there.... Its a riviera hardtop and all the trim in in the trunk, bumpers are larger stuff in my truck bed. Now im torn on ditching it.

20210605_112143_HDR.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, NC-car-guy said:

Crooked like that?  Were they all drunk?

Regardless of their predilection to drink while tagging, I tell you the truth.  I will say this - at least mine isn't upside down.  :) 

Edited by Aaron65 (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

If you do decide to part it out, I’d be interested in the driver’s side door and possibly the grill bar. Truth be told, I always hate to see an reasonably intact vehicle parted out. My ‘52 Special Riviera was built in Atlanta and the VIN is hung crooked in the door frame similar to your car. I guess it’s a “Southern “ thing !?😎

• Haha 1

Battery ordered.  Need to order 00 battery cables too but will check tractor supply today. Engine is very clean. Will change oil and check all ignition parts while waiting on my battery (supposed to be here by 3 today).  And straight 8 specific watch outs?

11 minutes ago, NC-car-guy said:

Battery ordered.  Need to order 00 battery cables too but will check tractor supply today. Engine is very clean. Will change oil and check all ignition parts while waiting on my battery (supposed to be here by 3 today).  And straight 8 specific watch outs?

Not really...it should have hydraulic lifters, which are fed from the rocker shaft down.  Unfortunately, the rocker shaft is probably plugged up with sludge (along with the rocker arm passages).  So don't be surprised if there's a little valve noise; I hope you luck out!  That big manifold might be warped, so an exhaust leak is not out of the question.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NC-car-guy said:
3 hours ago, old-tank said:

Yeah, post should be move the the Modified forum now...

Why? Its not modified as if current. I even just bought a correct 6v battery for $250

Must be my imagination.  I thought I saw fuel injection, nailhead...:D

18 minutes ago, Rusty Heaps said:

And I can take the inline eight off your hands! I’d hate for you to have to keep stepping around such a large hunk of iron. 

I'd hate to think what shipping would cost on that engine but I could certainly ship the engine to one of you and the rest of the car to the other

I wouldn’t want to pull the engine unless someone else was hotrodding it. I already have a ‘52 Special Riviera sans engine, and a ‘53 2dr sedan which I bought for the engine, transmission, and front seat. Now I can’t seem to part it out, unless someone wanted to make a gasser or hotrod out of it. If I had yours I would have to figure out which one I would have to use for the parts car! I’m getting bogged down! Also, if the engine came up for sale I would just have to drive over the mountain and get it. Let us hope that someone will take the whole car and save me from getting deeper in this rabbit hole.😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...

Well. Front 3 cylinders have 90, 40, 30 psi respectively the middle two were between 10 and 20 and the last three had zero psi.  Along with 5 bent push rods that also have cracked skirts on the lifters. 😳  When in bought it I was able to grab the crank pulley and move it by hand with extra umph but im not that strong so I'm guessing that's part of why this car was parked.

I'm guessing some stuck valves danced a little too close to some pistons.  You could try some new pushrods and maybe pull the head to check out the valves, but you're getting into some money and time you probably don't want to spend on a car you're selling.  You gave it a shot!  

• Like 2