Buick super 1949 dynaflow rear axle on 1940

Robby120113

Hi guys. 

i am still on the look out for a better option for my 1940 buick special with a 3.9 rear gear ratio. I drive a lot and the fuel prices are ridiculous here. And also i want to have the rpm down. Since i live in the Netherlands parts shipment from the US will be very pricy. But now i see that there is a 1949 buick super dynaflow for sale in my country. Is this rear gear setup possible for mine? 

thanks

On 6/5/2021 at 9:49 PM, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Robby, it will fit but may not make much difference. May be the same ratio. Possibly 3.6 to 1. Not enough difference to be worthwhile. A 3.36 from about 1954-1955 is better. About 650 rpm drop.

Do you think the 248ci engine is still able to drive normally with this gear?

thanks

3 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

If you mean the 3.36, yes , I do.  That is what I did to my 1950 Special.  

Ben

Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread, but wonder if those gears would fit a '40 Century also?  Necessary to change the entire rear end including axles and torque tube?

1 hour ago, Rod Frazier said:

Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread, but wonder if those gears would fit a '40 Century also?  Necessary to change the entire rear end including axles and torque tube?

Yes, Rod, they will.  I do not believe they are series specific.   No, one can JUST change the "punkin".  Not easy, but , hey, I did.

Ben

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rod Frazier said:

Thanks, Ben......Have you posted the procedure on a previous thread?  I'm planning a long road trip this year and it'd be nice to be able to jump on the Interstate for some stretches without getting in everyone's way!

Rod, I did.  So did Willie [ Old tank]  . His description is on his web site I believe.  And way better description than mine.  Link in Old Tank's signature.

Ben

2 hours ago, Robby120113 said:

Where to find this 3.36 punkin?

1954& early1955 3.4.original to CentSuperRoadmaster. NOT Sticks or SPECIALS, (unless u find something that was replaced)! Later changed to 3.36/1 with different tooth count to increase strength by having teeth contact at thicker point on gear. See 1955 Buick service bulletin.

Edited by 2carb40 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Rod Frazier said:

Thanks, Ben......Have you posted the procedure on a previous thread?  I'm planning a long road trip this year and it'd be nice to be able to jump on the Interstate for some stretches without getting in everyone's way!

Yes, if you can get the gears and do the work, I highly recommend it. I have a '41 Roadmaster and I had the swap done by a shop, but I love how it drives on the highway now. Also I had a gear set which goes on the trans to speedo cable made up to compensate for the speedometer error introduced by the different rear gears.

Keith

54 minutes ago, Rod Frazier said:

About a quarter mile from me there's a '55 or '56 Century rotting away in a pasture.....maybe I better get over there and take a look....it'll probably be next to free for hauling away.

Naw, he's gonna fix it some day. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/9/2021 at 12:46 AM, 2carb40 said:

1954& early1955 3.4.original to CentSuperRoadmaster. NOT Sticks or SPECIALS, (unless u find something that was replaced)! Later changed to 3.36/1 with different tooth count to increase strength by having teeth contact at thicker point on gear. See 1955 Buick service bulletin.

So the 3.4 doenst fit a special. But the 3.36 does or is it the same thing?

On 6/10/2021 at 11:53 AM, Robby120113 said:

So the 3.4 doenst fit a special. But the 3.36 does or is it the same thing?

If I had a dollar.......The question asked was where to find. This time two ?s. First ?,yes, 3.4 fits Spec. No, they are not the same, but yes they can interchange. It was an upgrade, a running change during production that had to retro fit to continue to be a replacement part. See 1955 Service bulletin book, they are inexpensive, online and reproduced. Blood Sweat and Tears cover of the song," God Bless The Child Thats Got His Own!" That's a great one to own too! Alexa, play BS&T. Just pushing your leg! Keep askin ?s I can do this all day! Lol!

• Haha 1

20160806_083819_001.jpg.5c1e8d251bf29fa66488a49156dd0eaf.jpg

On 6/8/2021 at 1:22 AM, Robby120113 said:

Do you think the 248ci engine is still able to drive normally with this gear?

thanks

Hey Robby

Please google TEAM BUICK forum! I think you will love the older Buick info thats been posted there. Be prepared for "binge watching" as its alot. You would be prudent to buy a publication from the West Michigan chapter  "Tips and Techniques"? A young guy will know how to search for it! 19.95 last I checked. Whats that old saying about teaching fishing? Eat happy!

• Like 1