Any ideas what motor is in my Riviera

Zack209

The plate on the firewall indicates options put on by Fisher Body. The engine codes are on the block in front of the valley pan on the left as you face the car. It should be a 2 digit code, such as "LT". L indicates 1965 and T would be for a 401, for example. The 445 callout indicates engine torque, as Buick was quite proud of torque ratings. To see if it's "number matching", look on the right side in front of the valley pan on the block, and a VIN will be stamped there. If the engine is original to the car, it will match the VIN on the body. A 64 401 will be KT, a 63 will be JT, and so on

Edited by jframe (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Well, since your car is a 64 Riviera, the correct engine would be a 425 single carb or 425 dual carb.  401 was not available for 64.  Now, the red air cleaner would be for a 63, even tho this one is not crinkle coated.  The 63 engines are also painted silver.  As was previously stated, you can scrape away the paint on the top front of the engines driver and passenger side to read the serial number and production code.  Note:  the production code will be upside down  If this is a 63 401 4 barrel,  It should  say JT with a 2 or 3 digit number.  

• 2 weeks later...

7K  7 is for the Riviera, K is for '64.  Unless someone has done an engine swap, it's a 425 cubic incher.     Look for a K and a W where the engine code is located.  The engine serial number should match your VIN.  If not, take some pictures and get back to us.

1941226643_Nailheadproductioncodestamping.jpg.b826f945c22bbac51c759b115577f250.jpg

It should look like this.  First picture is the engine code and serial number.  Second picture is the vin number which should match the vin plate (pictured above).  Looking straight down at the block in front of the valley cover.  To the left of the thermostat housing will be the engine code, either KW or KX.  Both are 425's, W is single 4bbl carb, X is 2 x 4 carb's.  Just like what Ed described above.

Art

685830963_Rivieraengineid2.jpg.d12be4cc28bb608ee63dfdae814870c3.jpg150051661_Rivieraenginenumber2.jpg.d40f7f09358eb623008d81b6fc647dcf.jpg

• Like 1

Here is a picture of the K and W on the engine for my 64.  The K and the W are a little farther apart on mine than the illustration.  Nothing here but the bare block and the timing chain. Hopefully you can find the numbers on yours.

The numbers are of no consequence.IMG_20210616_215303241.jpg.3bac4598e5caeccb53e0fbdca30bfb14.jpg

• Like 1

Art is correct. J=1963; T= 401 cubic inch, 325 hp, 4 bbl, engine with dual exhaust. Buick referred to this engine as the Wildcat 445, based on the 445 lb ft of torque it developed at 2800 rpm.  The J in the engine serial number confirms this.  Next question. When the original 425 was replaced, did the persons doing the swap leave the 1964's ST400 transmission in the car or did they use the 1963's Dynaflow transmission?

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

38863E8A-5048-436D-A070-02695EB3C3E6.jpeg.6bbc7197b88e68ffe4e4ad3cede085c1.jpegThank you guys I really appreciate the help from my knowledge i thought it was all original how would I know what transmission is in it.On another note on the overflow tank were the cap goes on there’s a hose that connects to it but after following i noticed it doesn’t connect to anything, is that how It suppose to be or does it got to go somewhere 

On cars from that era it's just an overflow tube out of the radiator to the ground.

If your car has the original 1964 ST400 transmission, your gear selector will go from P to R, then N, D, &L. (However it does have 3 forward speeds.)  The 1963 Dynaflow will go from P, to N, D,L, then R. D is the only gear you need. The Dynaflow feels like today's CVT (continuously variable transmission) transmissions. From a dead stop to top speed, you do not feel any shifts.

The bigger problem down the line is the mating of a TH400 onto the back of the DynaFlow crank as the pilot hole that supports the DynaFlow torque converter hub is pretty much larger than the pilot hole for the TH400 trans.  So now the torque converter hub has no support & is just kinda wobbling around inside the crank.They make adapters for this conversion. Problem is the trans. needs to come out to modify the rear of the crank to accept this adapter. Don't get into a false sense of security because everything seems to be working fine for now.  IF no adapter was used then the TH400 will get wiped out in short order.  Now you'll have to find another trans.

Google trans. oil pans to get a visual of the differnces between a Dynaflow trans. pan & a TH400 trans. pan.  You will be able to identifty what you have easily IF you will bend down & look.

OR, even better yet take a pic of the pan & post it.

Tom T.

9 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Pictured is the door panel for a car equipped with the standard interior

Ed, good day.

Outta curiosity, is that a '63 door panel with the tri-shield or did the standard interior in the '64 have the tri-shield? I thought all the '64s had the Riviera "R" logo. 

The 7K on the VIN definitely identifies it as a 64.  A previous owner has definitely made the swap, Buick would have done nothing like that.  In 63, engines in the Riviera were painted Silver, the engines in all other full sized models were painted Buick green, as seen on the other pictures that were posted.  All 1964 engines were painted Buick green. There are a number of differences between a 63 and a 64.  Post some more pictures of the entire car, and we’ll point them out to you..

The console in the car is a 64 except for the piece which tells you which gear that you’re in.  

As can be seen in the pic posted that happens to be a '64 console as to where the ashtray was placed.  Also a '63 console where the heat comes out by your left leg will blow against your upper left leg & after awhile your leg gets extremely hot.

In '64 they solved this by putting a little "cup" over the outlet pointing down which solved the hot leg problem. 

By looking at the pic I'm most certain it's a '64 console with a '63 shifter assembly & mechanism.

Have you taken my suggestion & googling trans.oil pan identifiction???   When shifting the car into gear is reverse all the way back as indicated???

We are very good at helping those that at least will make an effert to help themselves.  Bend down & take a pic of the pan then we can all tell you what you need to know.

Tom T.

• Like 1

The '64 console chrome pieces are a two pieces.  The '63 is one piece from the a/c vents to the diddy box.

Here's a picture of a 1964 console in a standard interior car. Take note of where the a/c and heater controls are. It takes two pieces of chrome to go from the a/c vent to the diddy box. The lights and wiper switches are on the dash each side of the instruments.  IF this were a '64 with custom interior, the console would be covered in wood grain to match the door panels and the knob for the shifter would have a wooden insert. 

1964 Buick Riviera

Here's a picture of a 1963 console.  You'll notice it's one piece of chrome from the a/c vent to the diddy box.  The lights and wiper switch are on the console.  The heat and a/c controls are above the radio.  All 1963 consoles were covered in black vinyl regardless of whether the interior was standard or custom.

224753_Interior_Web.jpg

All that's necessary to change the shifter mechanism from a ST400 to a Dynaflow is to change the actual shifter and change out the plastic indicator in the shifter housing.

On 6/18/2021 at 7:19 PM, RivNut said:

The 7K on the VIN definitely identifies it as a 64.  A previous owner has definitely made the swap, Buick would have done nothing like that.  In 63, engines in the Riviera were painted Silver, the engines in all other full sized models were painted Buick green, as seen on the other pictures that were posted.  All 1964 engines were painted Buick green. There are a number of differences between a 63 and a 64.  Post some more pictures of the entire car, and we’ll point them out to you..

The console in the car is a 64 except for the piece which tells you which gear that you’re in.  

Ed,

Wasn't there two styles of selector lenses in 64?

Art

1229792942_gearselector.jpg.ce2b9ccba4bdd36c85f79617425d44ce.jpg

14 hours ago, awk409ak said:

Ed,

Wasn't there two styles of selector lenses in 64?

Art

1229792942_gearselector.jpg.ce2b9ccba4bdd36c85f79617425d44ce.jpg

I sold the one from the 64 that RivCat parted out and it was clear and looked like the one on the left. That car was a later build, May 64, if that makes any difference.

Bill

Edited by Riviera63 (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Riviera63 said:

I sold the one from the 64 that RivCat parted out and it was clear and looked like the one on the left. That car was a later build, May 65, if that makes any difference.

Bill

64 built in May of 65?  🤔

My '64 built 12D, 4th. week Dec. '63 body # 10826 has NO lines between gear selection Park/Reverse.

Had a very early '64 built 07C, 3rd. week July '63 body # 538 had no lines between Park/Reverse.  This particular vehicle had MANY '63 erra parts installed for example sun visors ends were '63. The console didn't have the little cup that pointed downwards for the heat against left leg. Glove box door was '63 & MANY other '63 trats.

So my conclusion is that it was a slightly later '64 model.

Tom T.

Edited by telriv (see edit history)

On 6/18/2021 at 11:14 AM, MikeJS said:

Ed, good day.

Outta curiosity, is that a '63 door panel with the tri-shield or did the standard interior in the '64 have the tri-shield? I thought all the '64s had the Riviera "R" logo. 

Nah, 64 standard interior has the tri-sheild as well. Mine:Screenshot_20210622-114434_Gallery.jpg.0fbb0df0b7fa0eeddbafc1fd8e5845c3.jpg

On 6/22/2021 at 9:54 AM, telriv said:

My '64 built 12D, 4th. week Dec. '63 body # 10826 has NO lines between gear selection Park/Reverse.

Had a very early '64 built 07C, 3rd. week July '63 body # 538 had no lines between Park/Reverse.  This particular vehicle had MANY '63 erra parts installed for example sun visors ends were '63. The console didn't have the little cup that pointed downwards for the heat against left leg. Glove box door was '63 & MANY other '63 trats.

So my conclusion is that it was a slightly later '64 model.

Tom T.

Tom,

So you're saying the one on the right is correct for my 08D built 64 (Aug, 4th week, 63).

Art