Low Oil indicator

Reattamac

Pastor Bob:

First of all, do you park on a downslope driveway? I do, and the oil runs to the front of the pan. Every time I start the engine, I get the low oil message. It'll stay on until you shut the engine down. Try letting the engine run for a minute, then shut it down and restart. Message should be gone.

Jerry

The sensor in the oil pan has failed. The reason the message goes away after a restart is the BCM is set up to ignore the sensor unless it sees an engine warm to engine cold cycle. It interprets this as an overnight cooldown, and figures the oil has drained back to the pan. The actual switch input to the BCM can be monitored in the Diagnostics.

Bob Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the help. January had an average high of 31degrees around here, so will search for that sensor when I get a chance to put it on a hoist. I know I have oil, and oil pressure. The indicator is just annoying. I can put up with it for a while longer.

Charlie B,

I don't have the part# handy but I can tell you the replacement for the 90 is plastic and the original is metal.My sensor failed due to leakage around the o-ring. Simple replacement --drain the oil -remove sensor with wrench -clean up and reinstall new sensor-add oil.

ronvb