1930 Cadillac V-16 Convertible Sedan by Murphy

I agree, it’s a great car. I watched it sell about five years ago.........it will be interesting to see what it does this time. Special Cadillacs are few and far between, 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, classiclines said:

Very nice car - cannot imagine why they chose to take pictures with that backdrop?!?

It's perfect! I believe to the photographer's credit it's meant to be a sort of symbolic juxtaposition. Outside the confines of it's own posh garage it was not a happy world that this vehicle existed in. That's probably just about what the rest of the country looked like to the swells that had the nerve to drive that car around during the depths of the depression... I can't help but always look at a magnificent car like this from that era and surmise that at one point in it's life the poor car probably had some tin cans/rocks thrown at it as it was driving by. 

That being said, god bless those swells and every ostentatious dollar they spent on wonderful machines like this!

• Like 1

Remember Murphy’s Law..........if the body was built in Pasadena, it’s a car worth having in your garage. While some are better than others, I can’t recall a Murphy I wouldn’t be proud to own. A few of them are quite simply fantastic.

• Like 2

It’s an interesting design, as it first appears to look like a phaeton, yet has roll up windows.  Most convertible sedans were more squared off at the rear, this car appears to be designed like a phaeton and windows sloped at rear to match.  Guess that’s a subtle difference, but leaps out to me.  Either Christmas or my birthday would be applicable dates, if anyone wants to buy and gift this vehicle to me.  Thanks in advance..dc

• Haha 1

It’s interesting that when you see a Cadillac without a Fleetwood Body, often it doesn’t look right. Here is the reverse. A Model J with a Fleetwood body.......looks like a screwed up Cadillac.

5DDFBA61-C71E-4F64-ADA7-FB1FAC865EB0.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

I know you don't like the Fleetwood bodied J,   but I think in a different color it would be fine.    It looks like a V16 Roadster with a longer hood.

Problem is, it’s not a roadster, it’s a cabriolet.........and I’m not a fan of them, especially Fleetwood bodies.

41 minutes ago, jrbartlett said:

Hey fellas, as someone living where empty warehouses are hard to find and sky-high expensive, I'm just wondering where these are located.

At least 2k miles to your west.

• Haha 1

"Remember Murphy’s Law..........if the body was built in Pasadena, it’s a car worth having in your garage."

The exception to that are some Murphy bodied cars that Bohman & Schwartz got their hands on down the road & screwed up.   They ruined a few Rollston bodied cars as well.   We could do a seperate thread on that.   Show before & after pictures of cars Bohman & Schwartz altered and determine whether they look better or worse after they got their hands on them.    

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, K8096 said:

"Remember Murphy’s Law..........if the body was built in Pasadena, it’s a car worth having in your garage."

The exception to that are some Murphy bodied cars that Bohman & Schwartz got their hands on down the road & screwed up.   They ruined a few Rollston bodied cars as well.   We could do a seperate thread on that.   Show before & after pictures of cars Bohman & Schwartz altered and determine whether they look better or worse after they got their hands on them.    

I think we could keep the thread shorter if we just posted the attractive B&S cars.  There are a few.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, bryankazmer said:

The greenhouse and fender stylings being about 5 year' different is the issue.  Were some of these "updates' - put skirted fenders on my older body kind of jobs?

that would be about 80-90% of what they were up to.  There are some nice ones, but not a lot.  B&S would do any work to survive.

On 6/4/2021 at 4:49 PM, md murray said:

It's perfect! I believe to the photographer's credit it's meant to be a sort of symbolic juxtaposition. Outside the confines of it's own posh garage it was not a happy world that this vehicle existed in. That's probably just about what the rest of the country looked like to the swells that had the nerve to drive that car around during the depths of the depression... I can't help but always look at a magnificent car like this from that era and surmise that at one point in it's life the poor car probably had some tin cans/rocks thrown at it as it was driving by. 

That being said, god bless those swells and every ostentatious dollar they spent on wonderful machines like this!

I totally agree with you @md murray These cars all have stories to tell.

• Like 2