46-48 Ford outer door handle fastener

46Wurly

On the front doors, inside rear edge, is a plated screw that gos through to the shaft of the outer door handle. This appears to be a special made screw for this application only. 10-32 thread with special head. I NEED ONE,HELP. Thanks

Comried123@msn.com or 319-270-8301

IMG_20210603_133511.jpg

IMG_20210603_133715.jpg

I answered your question on the Ford barn but I'll give you my answer here as well. The ''screw" that you need is not reproduced anywhere.  A machine shop can fabricate it for you several ways but I have another suggestion. McMaster-Carr part number 92320A645 is a stainless steel spacer 1/2" x1/2" with a #10 hole in the center. Use that in conjunction with part number 91792A833 that is a 10/32 x 1" domed head screw. Insert the screw into the spacer and you won't be able to tell that it's not the original part. If you go onto the McMaster web site you can see the parts and pull up a detailed description.

There are endless solutions to this problem. Right now I prefer to look for the bolt that actually went in there. IF YOU had read FORD BARN closely I did not ask for an alternative to finding this bolt or a solution for replacing this bolt. I specifically asked if there was a name for this bolt so I could properly search for it. If I dont find one I will use an alternate method.

A 10-32 slotted steel fillister head screw is not hard to find. Do a search on ebay and a bunch come up. You can buy small amounts cheap on ebay. Hardware stores and Home Depot probably will not stock that, especially in slotted. 

On the other hand, if you want the exact screw you will probably have to find someone with a parts car or lock parts for sale. That screw appears to have a taller head than a standard fillister head screw. Compare them and decide for yourself. 

Edited by Tom Boehm (see edit history)

Your exactly right. The head is taller. This is definiteley not a screw made today BUT my intentions was to see if this may have been used in other applications for different years or models. Screw is not really necessary and alot of the woodies I see dont even have them. Was prob used for less stress on the 2 wood screws in door when pulling handle. I had mine plated and they lost one. Sooooo, am just trying to find one if its out there. If not,Ill use something else,pretty simple actually. Thanks for your input

I had a chance to remove the screw from my '46 door. The suggestion I gave you was to use a 1/2"x1/2" stainless spacer from McMaster-Carr. I miked mine up and the dimension is 7/16" wide x 5/16" long. Unfortunately McMaster does not make a 7/16" spacer. You would still use the 1/2" spacer but only 5/16" long. If you do decide to go that rout the new part number would be 92320A877. I might see if I can find a machine shop and have a few made.