1923 Chevy overheating.

AllenWConrad

Posted (edited)

I just bought a 1923 Chevy.  It starts easy and idles good.  But when I drive it,  it gets hot and over heats fast in less than 100 yards.  I know the water pump is working.  Can someone point me in the right direction.

IMG_20210526_130249025.jpg

IMG_20210526_130237612.jpg

IMG_20210526_130227807.jpg

Edited by AllenWConrad (see edit history)

Heats in 100 yards. . . . .

#1 verify that there is adequate water (should be easy)

#2 How do you know its hot? (thermometer? skin contact? Motometer?) just to verify the symptoms

#3 look for symptoms of blown head gasket - Is combustion getting into the cooling system? Water in oil or more specific, bubbles coming up into the radiator filler.

i had a 27 chev truck engine i worked on that would overheat quickly and the thin steel plate behind the water pump to direct the water into the jackets was rusted away.  without the plate, the water would just swirl around the pump impeller and not circulate into the water jackets.  i dont know if 23's had the plate, or when the timeline of this cooling improvement came into use.

terry

You need to get an infrared temp meter and check the temp of the radiator at the top and at the bottom.  There should be a 20degF difference between the top and the bottom.  If not, then you probably have a radiator issue.  Hopefully you will see the difference.  That will be an expensive fix either confirmed or eliminated. 

If the radiator checks out good, then on to the other suggestions as all of them are good.