Clutch pilot roller bearing replacement

MaxwellFox

My clutch pilot bearing seems to be one of the few things that got rusty in my transmission department.  Finding the darn thing is proving harder than I expected.  It's a caged needle bearing, 1.125" od, .812" id, 1.75 long.  Right now Im considering dismantling the bearing cage and replacing the rollers.  My other thought is to eliminate the cage altogether and just fill the bore with needles if feasible, but I cant really find any info for this sort of substitution in a transmission.  Any ideas?

20210602_141755.jpg

I am not familiar with the Maxwell. If that is a pilot bearing, it gets very little real use (only during shifts) you might consider replacing it with a bushing as some cars use.

I was starting to consider that, but was still hoping maybe the roller was picked for some good reason.  Pilot bearing discussions usually become heat treatment of the shaft surfaces and that you can't necessarily swap bearings and bushings.  However, I would figure that a surface designed for a bearing would be hard, thus OK for a bushing, but not the other way around.

Yeah.  Ford used them apparently too in early cars.  My only theory for the roller is oilite hadnt been invented in 1920, and the oil feed to the pilot area isnt great, so a roller bearing was better than the bronze alloys at the time for the situation.

George Bachleda at Olcar Bearing used to be the go-to guy and miracle-worker in the bearing field. Since his passing in the last year or so, I have found the folks at South Shore Bearing in Massachusetts to be very helpful.  If you might be interested in replacing the original bearing,I would recommend contacting them.