Just Interested … How Do You Choose Your Next Book Topic?

(relatively new SAH member—since 2019)

How do you choose your next book topic?

Does it just come to you, or does someone else (publisher?) suggest it?

Is it a sense of where there might be untapped interest, or is it just something that really interests you?

I don't really write books, although I have done one , it isn't on automobiles but on the history of the village that I reside in and a major national publisher of that field ( local history) approached me . The topics for my articles/stories focus on the area of interest I have on cars because of the design and building of their coachwork.  I am the one that usually suggests what I can do a decent job on research and write a story on - so the topic comes from me . I also concentrate on the WWI to WWII era as that is the time span that I have built my archives/library around of original material. ( which I am still doing after 50 years with a great passion) It is not just about the cars but also all the people involved from the stylist to the fellow who shaped the sheet metal, to location of dealers, the salons that were held each year to showcase the coach work etc.  I am at a point where Editors approach me to contribute to their publications , I do not believe in revisionist history, primary source material is first and foremost ( but often is hard to locate!!) and there are a number of publications from 80+ years ago published in the USA and in Europe that are gold mines of information and images BUT once you see all of them you have to know how to use all the information to then write a accurate account of what took place but it also has to be a "good read" not just a listing of facts and dates which can be tedious.

Edited by Walt G
spelling correction (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

… once you see all of them you have to know how to use all the information to then write a accurate account of what took place but it also has to be a "good read" not just a listing of facts and dates which can be tedious.

Agreed—I'm fighting that with my current project.

• 2 months later...

Have written two automotive books that sold successfully--and one that didn't! First, write about something you know. Second is to write about a topic that you can conveniently research. And write a book that fills a need, even if it's just a niche, a book that will be unique. A successful book must also have an audience broad enough to make it a financial success for the publisher.

In fact, you should find a publisher before you get deeply into the project. A good publisher can help you with research access, advances, guidance, scope, writing style, editing standards, publicity, and more. Of course, he will first want a  thorough outline, perhaps even a sample chapter. Your writing experience, even if it's only for a club publication, helps interest a publisher.

Hope this helps.

Frank

Edited by Frank Barrett
For the pure, unmitigated hell of it. (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...