Buick Reatta Display Screen problems

Random Display problem.

Has anybody had trouble with the Display screen in the Reatta? I have a screen that goes off and on while driving. When the display is off, none of the buttons work and the touch screen is dead. The error reporting system shows no errors. At random the screen comes back on and all works as normal. I have a service manual on the Reatta but it does not seem to be much help for this problem. I have checked connections which seem to be OK. I have been able to catch the display being off and wiggled on wires hoping I would find a bad connection, but the display does not come back on unitl it is ready to... I do not have a display tester as the manual sais to check it with.

Unless the tester can catch the problem at the right moment, I don't think it is going to help. Has anybody seen this problem or have a clue where to start?

Hi Iam a new user and i own a riv. that had the same problem after talking to a few buick techs at dealers it seems that the central power supply was the problem which on a riv. is located by the brake ped. i replaced mine in 92 and have not seen the problem since hope this helps

Does sound like you are loosing power or ground. Before replacing parts, try unplugging both the CRT display and the central power supply and replugging. Use contact lube if you have it, WD-40 will work in a pinch.

After 13-14 years of high and low temps, low and high humidity plus dust, these contacts can get intermittant. If that fails, You can send the CRT to Rex Services (708-448-5558)in the Chicago area for a rebuild for around $100

Don't know anyone that repairs the power supplies

• 2 weeks later...

I am experiencing the same problem. I am not sure what the two parts that you are describing look like. Is there somewhere that I can find a diagram to figure out which two pieces to disconnect and clean? Thanks.

Guest Reatta1

I have experienced the IP going blank in hot weather. The CRT will show 'communications error' and sometimes the CRT will also go blank. At that point the climate control system will shut down but the radio will stay on and all lights work. I discovered that a smack on the dashboard will start everything back up. Leads me to believe it is either a connection problem or a fine crack in a circuit on the board. Had that problem in an 88 Regal with the digital display. Soldered the crack and it was fine.

Just my experience for what it's worth.

Dropping to radio & losing HVAC sounds like the BCM has lost the signal that the key is in "run" position. ("Retained Power" condition). If so the radio will quit if you open the door.

There are actually two black boxes besides the CRT itself, the CRTC or CRT Controller located under the front of the console and the central power supply located behind the driver's side of the instrument panel (really need a factory service manual). The CRT also recieves display data from the body control module (BCM) behind the glove box.

"Communications Lost" generally indicates a loss of the serial data link aka ALDL.

"Goes Black" would have me first checking the 7v dc power from the central power supply but could be a lot of things inclding bad solder joints in the CRT module (was a TSB on it).

Gary:

Cold solder joints are a very common problem in the Reatta CRTs. They become intermittent as you have just described. There are other posts on this subject that you might find using the search engine.

See here.