Case auto on craigslist

nzcarnerd

00b0b_cOPJB0GFaKSz_0x20oM_1200x900.jpg00I0I_8U2aFuaFy30z_0x20oM_1200x900.jpg

1916 Case Automobile 7 passenger touring car. This is one of 19 known to be in existence. This car runs although the carburetor leaks a little fuel and should be fixed prior to driving. This car was restored in the 60’s and shows some wear in the paint but no dents. Overall it is in very nice condition.

707 337-4786
Roy

East of Riverside, California

Edited by mike6024 (see edit history)

Good question!  A while back, maybe a year or so ago.  A person posted, on this website, that he had the same car, asking what the value of the car would be, before he placed it on sale. As he wanted to get a fair price for the car. Two day late he posted "Thanks, sold".  

Since then I wondered how many suitcases of money it took to get that car?  That  he took a offer and sold it in two day!!   Is "$50K a bit optimistic?", After what happened with the first one, I don't think so.  So if you want this car, you'd better  start packing your suitcases. 

Edited by 32tatra
misspelled word (see edit history)

Not a bad place to start, esp on a Craigslist ad.  You can always come down on asking price; hard to go up.

As has been discussed on this forum many times, rarity doesn’t always translate into value, but you never know.  It just takes one guy with a passion and a fat wallet ...

• Like 3

All collectables are funny things. What drives demand and prices is not always obvious. I collected 78rpm records for many years, and have over 2000 of them. When I was actively collecting them, about forty years ago, I knew several big collectors and dealers. One had a record, recorded about 1930, by a famous all black musical group. Everything that group recorded was very valuable. Forty years ago, their original recordings usually sold for more than a hundred dollars. However, one of their recordings, was unique. Like most bands of the era, they had to schedule recording studio dates and times. The technology was still new (electronic recordings had only been around for less than ten years at that point!), and schedules were difficult to make for all bands, being an all black band didn't help any. The day the recording was scheduled, their clarinet player took sick, VERY sick! The clarinet was critical to the planned piece. So what do you do? You find the nearest available clarinet player you can get on very short notice. They found a young clarinetist practicing in a nearby studio, a fellow working his way into the bigtime! But not yet well known. He willingly sat in with the otherwise all black band for the session that day. He didn't even get his name on the record label. It can only be found in certain historic books and records. (And I don't have access anymore to those books?) So who was that white clarinetist, the only one to play during any recordings of that famous all black band? An as yet struggling Jimmy Dorsey.

The record sold for just under a thousand dollars! (And that was forty years ago!) It sold to a Dorsey collector of course!

In the matter of a Case automobile, I would imagine that tractor and implement collectors would run the price way up! Any tractor collector can have a dozen Case tractors. How many can have a Case automobile?

• Like 2

Heck, there’s 5k in cobwebs and barn dust alone 🤣🤣🤣

Sorry, couldn’t resist... but you would think for 50k they would clean it, take more quality pictures, and maybe do something about the gas leak other than putting the plastic funnel underneath, but then again maybe it’s just me??

• Like 4

Case cars seem to have a pretty devoted following, and are highly sought after by guys interested in this brand, as not allot show up on the market very frequently. They also compete with certain car guys and farm/tractor guys. If you don't follow them you would be caught of guard by that price in the ad, but as John_S_in_Penn A points out that is the price they go for.

This is from the guy that facilitated selling the other Case about 4 yrs ago. 

Jeff

Case with PU.jpeg

1920 case clean.jpg

Edited by coachJC (see edit history)

23 hours ago, Mark Wetherbee said:

Heck, there’s 5k in cobwebs and barn dust alone 🤣🤣🤣

Sorry, couldn’t resist... but you would think for 50k they would clean it, take more quality pictures, and maybe do something about the gas leak other than putting the plastic funnel underneath, but then again maybe it’s just me??

I agree with Mark.

I would never expect to get high buck without removing the car out of the garage, wash it and have a suitable background before I ever attempted to photograph it.

By looking at the car in question, it gives me the opinion that the owner has no intention of being gracious or negotiating the price. (Very arrogant in my opinion.)

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Case auto on craigslist

This is an interesting area that has some remarkable folks with some rare cars.

I did (3) trips back to back earlier this

year for an early Moparts collector

who lives in the area.

So close to I-10 but yet still remote.

Jim

88FA7EEA-5928-46F3-9722-5C1A2236EF25.jpeg.d6b5178e7f3f39cae6229cf01f28782b.jpeg

On 6/2/2021 at 5:52 PM, franklinman said:

I’ve seen earlier Cases with the larger T-head engines bring 6-figure prices. You’re also correct about the tractor collectors. The real serious ones make us car guys look cheap!

Also being a Tractor Guy, I resemble that remark. 😁🤪 Dandy Dave!

There were article's in a few tractor magazines years ago on a Big 4-45. Some parts were dug out of a Creek Bed years ago and completely restored. This should give you a new appreciation for the Tractor Collecting Hobby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wvk-1liUJ2k    

I wish I still had the complete story. And always got better with his retelling. But a friend of mine since passed, Mel Comer, said that in the early 1920s he and his family was doing a cross country trip in their late teens STANDARD 8 (from Pittsburgh). They got as far as New Mexico I believe when some catastrophic failure with the car caused them to stay at a reservation for a week until a new car could be sent for them to continue. He walked some miles to a railway stop where there was a telegraph operator. His father recieved their S.O.S. and at the time was an engineer at the Case plant. A new Case Touring car was sent within the week by rail to the location and they continued to California. They drove up and down the coast and visited relatives. Several weeks later they did a return trip to Pennsylvania. Mel said that they could only cross the dessert at night because of the heat.

When he was driving with the headlights on the whole surface seemed to be moving. He described it as a sea of Jackrabbits. His brother was in the front passenger seat with a shotgun and would take a potshot at some of the rabbits, keeping Mel awake for the long monotonous drive. One night Mel or his brother (depending who was driving) swung the gun sighting a fleeing group of jackrabbits and shot the headlight off the relatively new Case automobile. That is my only Case story....

Edited by dibarlaw
Added content (see edit history)
  • Like 1

About 15 years ago I was offered a 1928 International - running but rusty, for free. I declined to take it. I'm sure it wasn't in the same class as these 6-figure machines but maybe I should have make room for it!

• Like 1