For Sale: 1952 Oldsmobile 88 - "One-owner since new, mint" - San Marcos, CA - Not Mine - Deleted

For sale on Craigslist: 1952 Oldsmobile 88 4-door Sedan in San Marcos, CA  -  $19,995  -  Call Randahl:  757 348 24 four seven

Link: https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/cto/d/san-marcos-1952-oldsmobile-88/7329843186.html

Seller's Description:

1952 Oldsmobile 88 4-door Sedan

• condition: excellent
  • cylinders: 8 cylinders
  • transmission: automatic
  • odometer: 47,000
  • paint color: green
  • cryptocurrency ok
  • title status: clean

1 owner since new, mint condition 1952 Oldsmobile 88 sedan with 303 Rocket Motor. 100% original. Zero rust! Runs and drives as new. No dealers!

image.png.4c83387fd2a98a555db666a5deabb60a.png

image.png.6b70a7e2059fd06c8c30511163be21ec.png

image.png.580830718941523414f5421324f9dfb8.png

image.png.ade23cad214792ef0b91181d6a65d184.png

image.png.a2d71e9613f1dd36aca10f23051e9196.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update status (see edit history)
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, suchan said:

$20K for a 4-door sedan, and the photos of it are on a trailer? 

My thoughts exactly. I am a huge fan of the Olds (owned three), but if you are going to ask 20k for a car that "runs and drives as new" do not leave it on a trailer when taking pics for the sale, unless you plan to sell the trailer with it. Very nice looking car. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Zimm63 said:

Nothing screams flip 

I can't help but wonder why this bothers people. Every car dealer in the world is in business to flip cars. In other words sell for a profit. I sincerely doubt that Matt is selling at a loss if he can help it and this is totally acceptable. 

That's a nice looking old Oldsmobile. Price seems high but maybe if seen in person one would think otherwise.  

• Like 2

The rub on ones like this is the seller lists so little information you begin to wonder what you would be getting for the $$$$.  Did he drive it?  Is it roadworthy? Is the paperwork in order to sell it?  Buying to resell is not an issue it’s just clear in the way the ad presents the car has not been checked out properly to justify the asking price.

• Like 1

It says it runs and drives like new and has zero rust & a clean title but of course it's the responsibility of the potential buyer to determine if that's true or not. Oldsmobile 4-door sedans of the early 50s may not be the most popular collector cars but from what I can see of it (more pics would help) his one is pretty darn nice. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Fossil said:

I can't help but wonder why this bothers people. Every car dealer in the world is in business to flip cars. In other words sell for a profit. I sincerely doubt that Matt is selling at a loss if he can help it and this is totally acceptable. 

That's a nice looking old Oldsmobile. Price seems high but maybe if seen in person one would think otherwise.  

There's a difference between a dealer who goes through the car, gives a full and honest description and lots of photos so the buyer might have a fair notion of the car's condition and asks a fair markup, versus someone who buys car at auction, etc., snaps some pictures of it before it's even off the trailer and asks double what he/she paid for it. For most of us it's a hobby, and we like people to play it straight.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 6/1/2021 at 8:38 AM, Fossil said:

I can't help but wonder why this bothers people. Every car dealer in the world is in business to flip cars. In other words sell for a profit.

If you buy from a dealer you would understand and acknowledge that they have a higher price due to overhead. You would also expect a certain level of service as part of the sale (e.g. title and quality inspection). If there is a problem with a dealer there might be some buyer protection through DMV licensing. 

With a private party sale it is 100% caveat emptor, the buyer is totally on their own so you would expect a lower price to compensate. 

• Like 2

I agree with Jack. Title will not be in this seller's name but bridged from orig. owner to whoever the new buyer is.

That's what "trailer merchants" always mean to me.

6 hours ago, GregLaR said:

I agree with Jack. Title will not be in this seller's name but bridged from orig. owner to whoever the new buyer is.

That's what "trailer merchants" always mean to me.

I agree! Put in your description "bought from original owner"!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1952 Oldsmobile 88 - "One-owner since new, mint" - San Marcos, CA - Not Mine - Deleted