36 Series 40 Rocker Shaft

Rock10

I doubt you`ll find a new shaft. There may be a place that can rebuild yours. The 248 rocker assembly may be the same as the 233, except the 248 has aluminum towers and weighs about 7 lbs less than the 233 rocker assembly. You could check with Dave Tacheny(parts out 36-40 Buicks)he could tell you what would interchange, and he might have a new shaft/parts. 763 427 3460  m-f 4-7pm central time

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pont35cpe said:

I doubt you`ll find a new shaft. There may be a place that can rebuild yours. The 248 rocker assembly may be the same as the 233, except the 248 has aluminum towers and weighs about 7 lbs less than the 233 rocker assembly. You could check with Dave Tacheny(parts out 36-40 Buicks)he could tell you what would interchange, and he might have a new shaft/parts. 763 427 3460  m-f 4-7pm central time

Thanks.

Dave was on my list but I didn't want to bother him over the holiday.

Not sure if that`s the part number, but that`s the same number as my original 233 rocker assembly, they`re like left/right. The other number is 1292335, there is 8 of each, on the assembly. My `38 248 rocker assembly, rockers are numbered 40 and 41, no other markings at all. To me both assemblies look the same except the `38 assembly has aluminum towers.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, pont35cpe said:

Not sure if that`s the part number, but that`s the same number as my original 233 rocker assembly, they`re like left/right. The other number is 1292335, there is 8 of each, on the assembly. My `38 248 rocker assembly, rockers are numbered 40 and 41, no other markings at all. To me both assemblies look the same except the `38 assembly has aluminum towers.

Thanks. That's helpful.

• 3 weeks later...

Well the drama continues.

We took the rocker shaft off to inspect it and found 2 of the rockers had worn through the babbitt bearing and steel backing and were running on the rocker itself. The shat was badly worn in one area. None of the bearings looked good. So we got lucky with Dave and he sold us a whole assembly. When i got the new parts, I took it apart to clean and inspect. That's when I saw how bad our old bearing really were. Then I noticed the shafts were not the same. Our old shaft had the oil holes drilled straight through the center and the holes were bigger. Also the hole at the front for the oil input didn't line up with the hole in the tower. You can see from the pictures where the oil had been flowing on the shaft. The new one has smaller oil holes for the rockers and they are drilled at a slight angle in the bottom third of the shaft. The input hole lines up with the locator screw hole in the second tower. Our old one didn't have any restricter in the oil line. The new one has a very small hole in the fitting that screws into the head. Looks like less than 1/16. I guess my question is any idea what the old shaft came out of and is that small hole going to provide enough oil flow for the rocker assembly?

IMG_1571.JPG

IMG_1572.JPG

IMG_1574.JPG

IMG_1575.JPG

IMG_1577.JPG