Options for a 1956 Dodge Coronet - and other cars in general

hey all! It's good to be here and thanks for having me. I came here wanting to know if there is any place I can find a sheet with all the available stock options for a list of older cars? The first and highest on my list is a 1956 Dodge Coronet. I've seen pamphlets and brochures and such but I'm really looking for just a list of options for that car

Your title stock options sounds like a pay option in business settings.  What you want is someone who has a salesman’s handbook for the car you are interested in.  They had all the options available for the cars so that the salesman could order the car you wanted.

• Like 1

One step above the sales brochure for showing options would be the color combination chart (which I imagine for a '56 Dodge would be huge with all those two- and three-tone paint combinations offered), and then the Dealer Ordering Guide, which a salesman would have referenced when placing an order for a customer.   The Dealer Order Guide would be more specific than the sales brochure on all the HD components that were available, including fleet, and the different levels of heating and air conditioning systems.

The other would be the Accessories Catalog which would have a myriad of convenience and trim items for installation after the car was delivered.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Lucas Robinson said:

That's the thing I was looking for! The dealer order guide! Where can I find that?

The literature vendors, such as autolit.com might have one available.  Keep in mind, Dealer Ordering Guides were not for public distribution like sales brochures were, and will be more difficult to find.

Craig

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The 55er said:

Here's a list of options available for a 1956 Dodge from an original sales brochure. 

Your 1956 Dodge booklet is a good source, Mr. 55er.

The picture you posted shows the standard features;

can you show the actual options?

Note that salesroom literature typically lists many

options, especially the most popular, but often does not

list every single option.

9 hours ago, 8E45E said:

The literature vendors, such as autolit.com might have one available.  Keep in mind, Dealer Ordering Guides were not for public distribution like sales brochures were, and will be more difficult to find.

Craig

And expensive!

• Like 2

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Options for a 1956 Dodge Coronet - and other cars in general

Lucas, Welcome!

By the mid-1950's every power options and air conditioning was available on all car makes, prices varied, air condition the most expensive in the $400-$500 range.  The Coronet was the base model Dodge primarily six cylinder models with a few V8's in certain body styles.   It would be extremely unusual to find a highly-optioned Coronet now.

Thank you 58L-Y8! I’m just doing a fun exercise where I look at cars that I really love and pick what options I would have gotten them with brand new. Though I really didn’t consider how hard it would be to find a list of all the options available for those cars

Lucas- try to imagine how many salesman were at each dealer - perhaps 5? , that may be the number of dealer only salesman's data books were allotted to each dealership , compared to thousands of sales flyers and leaflets. The earliest salesman's data books I have seen that again were just for salesman not for the general public to see date from the 1925 - 1927 era. There may be some before that , but my guess is that the car manufacturer's started to issue these because the demand for new cars grew considerably after WWI when the soldier's returned from 'over there' with some $ in their pockets that they were paid for their service. The extra equipment to make their new car "unique" and different from the standard issue was why factory accessories were developed and offered. Prior to that there were accessory companies not connected to the car factories that offered all kinds of items.

As far as I know there is no encyclopedia or dictionary like paperwork you can resource to see everything about every car you want to imagine you may like to own. No one has the total collection of everything that they then have the time to share, post, make available to general users. This all takes a lot of effort !!!

Many people are now used to getting answers at the click of a computer button to resource instantly information - this doesn't happen when it comes to 50+ year old automobiles without the effort of people or a club that even has or knows about the information. Research and answers aren't necessarily "easy"  nor instant.

• Like 1

As per my earlier comment about 'fleet' sales, the most interesting '56 Dodges to me are the California Highway Patrol cars.   They had lots of special order equipment not seen on regular production cars.

Craig

On 5/31/2021 at 10:49 PM, The 55er said:

Here's a list of options available for a 1956 Dodge from an original sales brochure. 

IMG_0003 (2).JPG

IMG_0002 (2).JPG

“Torsion Bar Rear Trunk-Lid Spring” Wow, I’m impressed! 😀😀😀😀😀