Windshield Washer Hose Size

Riviera63

I am in the process of having a windshield wiper wiper motor and washer rebuilt/refurbished. Right now I have an electric aftermarket washer pump that is mounted on the firewall. Once I get the rebuilt motor and washer installed I will need to run new washer pump hose. I have looked on CARS, Inc. and they have 3 different sizes of hose listed, 1/4", 5/32" and 7/32". I would like to get the ribbed hose as original. CARS, Inc. lists the 1/4" hose as "correct ribbed original". Can anyone confirm for me the the correct size please? Thanks.

Bill

Tom,

I agree hoses to the jets were 1/8 and thin wall but Bill must be talking about the main feed hose from bottle to pump. I know on 66 it was ribbed but not sure of ID size. As I recall I thought it was an odd size like maybe 7/32. Bill if you can measure the diameter of the nipple at thickest part with a pair of calipers we can determine size. The hose ID will need to be slightly smaller than the OD of nipple. Or maybe someone will chime in that knows for sure.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

5 hours ago, JZRIV said:

Tom,

I agree hoses to the jets were 1/8 and thin wall but Bill must be talking about the main feed hose from bottle to pump. I know on 66 it was ribbed but not sure of ID size. As I recall I thought it was an odd size like maybe 7/32. Bill if you can measure the diameter of the nipple at thickest part with a pair of calipers we can determine size. The hose ID will need to be slightly smaller than the OD of nipple. Or maybe someone will chime in that knows for sure.

Jason,

As you stated I remember the original OEM hose being thin walled and ribbed. When you go to a parts store all they want to sell you is vacuum hose which is thicker walled. Of course it would work but, I would like to get OEM style if possible. I had assumed that the hose from the washer bottle top to the pump and from the pump to the jets would be the same as it looks to me that all three nozzles on the washer pump look to be the same. I can't check that out as the motor and pump are out being redone. I can measure the nipples on the jets. Is it possible that the ribbed 1/4" hose CARS, Inc. has listed is 1/8" inside diameter? 

Bill

20 hours ago, Riviera63 said:

Jason,

As you stated I remember the original OEM hose being thin walled and ribbed. When you go to a parts store all they want to sell you is vacuum hose which is thicker walled. Of course it would work but, I would like to get OEM style if possible. I had assumed that the hose from the washer bottle top to the pump and from the pump to the jets would be the same as it looks to me that all three nozzles on the washer pump look to be the same. I can't check that out as the motor and pump are out being redone. I can measure the nipples on the jets. Is it possible that the ribbed 1/4" hose CARS, Inc. has listed is 1/8" inside diameter? 

Bill

No its not Bill. Hose size is specified by ID. If it says 1/4", it will be 1/4 ID. When I was looking in 2016 no one made the 1/8" thin wall hose even just smooth let alone ribbed. I checked everywhere including Corvette and Chevy suppliers. Possible someone might make it now but don't know. The problem using 1/8 vacuum hose with the thicker wall on the 66/67 means larger OD and it does not fit in the clamps behind the cowl but I had no choice but to make it fit. 

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

21 minutes ago, JZRIV said:

No its not Bill. Hose size is specified by ID. If it says 1/4", it will be 1/4 ID. When I was looking in 2016 no one made the 1/8" thin wall hose even just smooth let alone ribbed. I checked everywhere including Corvette and Chevy suppliers. Possible someone might make it now but don't know. The problem using 1/8 vacuum hose with the thicker wall on the 66/67 means larger OD and it does not fit in the clamps behind the cowl but I had no choice but to make it fit. 

Hi Jason,

Thanks for that. After I read your post I went out to my car and managed to get my hand inside the fender and get the stubs of the old hoses off of the washer pump. The feeder line from the tank has an ID of 7/32" and the lines that feed the squirters measure 5/32" ID. That jives with the hoses that CARS, Inc. has listed. I have seen some ribbed hose kits advertised for Camaros and Firebirds. I will check to see what those hoses measure. You would think that the washer hoses and squirters would be the same for the GM cars of the era but, of course we know that things that would make sense to us weren't always done.

Bill