Wanted white truck wheels

blastermike

Looking for a set of wooden spoked wheels for a teens one ton model white truck, wheels are 24” and take demountable rims which take 36” x 6” pnuematic tyres front and rear, front wheels have 10 spokes and rears have 12 spokes, if you can help let me know

thanks mike

example below of a front wheel

1212DD4B-DBEC-4AC6-B1CF-0B96B6492FDD.jpeg

In my Firestone rim guide there is a  notice warning that Type C { generally large cars and smaller trucks } rims only interchange with Type B rims { most of the larger trucks } in 36 x 6.  I believe the reason is that all the other Type C sizes end up being too narrow between the inner bevels to fit on a Type B felloe.

It is therefore important to identify what felloe you are trying to match a rim to when dealing with smaller trucks. Either type B or Type C are possibly used.

Hi Mike, what exactly do you need ? Wheels complete with hubs ? Or do you already have some parts ? I have some { poor condition } Firestone B felloes for wood spoke wheels. They came with some Packard wood spoke wheels { hard rubber style } that had at some point been modified to use Firestone Type B rims similar to your photo. It's hard to tell from your photo if they are type B or C rims but I believe Type B were more common, feel free to correct me. They are rusty beyond using , however I could make a drawing so you could have some made locally if that would be of help. Because they attach directly to the wood portion of the wheel they seen to suffer badly from rust. I think the wood holds moisture enough to cause substantial damage over the decades in all but desert climates.

Greg

Hi greg, hey thanks for that information, im really not up to speed on these types of wheels as most of my trucks have pressed on solids, so from what your saying either a firestone B or C rim as the one pictured above can work?  
im still trying to purchase the two front wooden wheels from a guy in Massachusetts, however there is one demountable rim with a tyre on it but the guy isnt sure its correct? 
Layden i am interested in the rim you have but i need to make sure its the right one, i have a picture of that rim with a tyre, sorry its not a good shot, 

i think the white truck chassis ive picked up is the one ton model TEB O 

i havent got it back home yet, 

mike

E840857A-D7DC-46D3-9D28-8F56508DC50C.jpeg

Hi Mike, my catalog details the rims themselves well , but generally does not cover what trucks they were used on nearly as well. Far too many small makers where there was often the option of using whatever rims the customer desired. It was really dependent on what size tires the customer wanted which depended on the use the customer was buying the truck for.

The catalog does list Type C , 34 x 4 1/2 for White light duty , 1919 - 21 but does not break down what models that covered.

Type B rims are fitted to most Whites in this era from what I have seen. But I suspect a 1 ton could have been fitted with either B or C. Export trucks often seem to have the " heavy duty " options more or less fitted as standard. 

A further complication is there are actually two different Firestone Type C rims. 

The first is the large car / light duty truck rim which I believe is what Layden's rim is. But there is also a " truck " series Type C which is quite similar to the Type B rims.

I assume you are quoting the 36 x 6 tire size from White sales material. This is probably the most reliable source . 

My catalog shows that size is available in both Type B and the truck series Type C, but not the lighter car / light truck series rims. Unfortunately there is a difference in the measurement between the two beveled  ridges which clamp the rim to the felloe when comparing Type B and truck Type C. Not a big difference but possibly enough to effect interchange.  

I will see if I can coax my steam powered scanner to co- operate and post the relevant pages.

Greg

• Thanks 1

There is a Facebook page for White trucks, and you could try asking there. Also Ross W from South Carolina and Florida is very familiar with White trucks..........if you need his contact info, PM me. Here is a White Yellowstone Bus Ross owns.......and drives!

1A71F881-15DC-4B38-8B63-D8CF211F9405.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a pair of these with 24" 4 piece Firestone rims. There is some rust and scaling under the old tires,can't tell how bad it is without sawing them off. Big brake drums 15 3/4" ID and 5 1/2" deep. Don't know what they originally came off of, thought I might need these rims for something else but probably not. The other one is sort of buried but I'll dig it out if you're interested. Like to get $450 for the pair and prefer they get picked up but can ship.

IMG_1031.JPG

IMG_1032.JPG

• Thanks 1

Hi sagefinds, not sure about those, maybe the rims are the right size?,

the other wheels that are shown from facebook do look like white wheels, the grease caps look right and there was a sprocket on one front wheel to drive the mileage recorder from what ive seen in the white truck manual, 

jukejunkie how much were they asking for them? and where were they advertised?

thanks mike

Hi Mike,

When I posted the ad on NOT Mine section here I knew someone would be interested.. Sorry I did not see your post earlier

Unfortunately, I am near Seattle and on the wrong side of the state .

Kurt M

• Thanks 1

The rims look pretty decent.  They use adapter rings like my Packard wheels, but in this case they are factory made , not cut down, hard rubber wheels. 

I think you can see how the wood felloe tends to hold moisture against the inside of the steel adapter ring and over time rust them away.

Being from the Spokane area they should be reasonably decent. Much drier than anywhere near the coast.

Best of luck securing them ! They look to me to be exactly what you need.

Probably no side rings or side ring snap rings, but they do turn up from time to time as well. The side rings fit all the different width's , the snap rings are often beat to death. I expect to have to make a set of rolling dies at some point in the future and make my own. I have found a number of usable rims and side rings over the years, but never a snap ring in decent enough condition to actually use. Also the wedge rings are much rarer than the rims in my experience, but at least these wheels get you started with a pair.  The rim clamps are also scarce. I keep a eagle eye out for them at every swap meet I attend.  I have picked up a dozen or more over the years , one or two at a time.  I am about 3/4 of the way to having a full set. It looks like these wheels have close to 1/2 a set of clamps. 5 on the one wheel 3 or 4 on the other.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The white chassis turned up this week, i now know its a teens 3/4 ton truck, wheelbase 9 ft 6”, 

im still on the look out for a set of correct wooden wheels, handbrake, rear spring hanger mounts, fenders, and a few other bits and pieces, the rear of the chassis has been shortened and butchered a bit, but otherwise its in good condition, for some reason the transmission has been turned around and moved right back, im in the process of removing the xtra steel and welded pieces, and i will return the trans and its crossmembers to their correct position, the steering box was moved back and to the outside of the chassis, the original steering/engine mount was still attached which is a bit of a bonus, the brass radiator seems ok and holds water, and lastly the fan and its mounting brkt came with the chassis, 

i have an engine and hood plus some smaller bits and pieces,

any leads on parts would be a big help

cheers.

B6FD40AC-1EFC-4978-8F8E-0B253F938D37.jpeg

12369C52-D586-4CF9-830D-A69D1A45DFD6.jpeg

625504E9-FE36-4862-9FD3-1C2D1823647E.jpeg

157EFAC0-B553-4CC8-8EA0-3AB63194514F.jpeg

F84D1E5C-6717-4DD1-B324-422416D23D23.jpeg

46EB30A9-A514-4A38-803C-DE743F34CD04.jpeg

I have a pair of these front fenders and runningboards that I believe are White,could be as early as yours. If you research and think they might work I can get some pics of the other one. Also have this rear axle,appears to be similar to yours but very rusty and pitted. I took the cover off and the gears look good. It came from a sale back in Ohio many years ago.I didn't want it but was in the pile I bought. And the wheels were there but in another pile I didn't get,hard telling if they are still around somewhere or not. The end of the axle is square,I presume yours are too. I had the engine and trans but they went to Colorado many years ago and their location now is unknown.The reason transmissions get turned around is if they are in second or low they are an overdrive. I corresponded with someone from blastermike about Liberty truck parts awhile back but I never was able to get ahold of the gentleman that had them and fear the worst. Holler if interested.

IMG_1044.JPG

IMG_1045.JPG

IMG_1043.JPG

Hi sagefinds, thanks for the offer but im not sure those are white parts, ?they may be for later white models? 
that diff is similar, white usually have their name on most sizeable castings so usually the are easy to identify, 

i will do a little more research, and yes it was me looking for Liberty parts for my 2nd chassis,

thanks again 

mike

• 2 weeks later...

Ive had some leads on white parts/remains recently, so went and bought one back home, first one turned out to be the 45 h/p engine and although very rough has some usable parts, the other white parts are equally as rough but turns out to be a 30 h/p engine and trans plus the pedals, ive yet to pick this one up, 

ive had no luck with the wheels advertised in spokane as the add had expired?? even though my partner is a facebook member here we couldnt access the spokane page, 

anyway some progress is better than none

Mike

4CBE224A-887D-42C2-B025-1F08509DAD54.jpeg

3738AD02-8490-406B-AD4C-FFE731C8D76B.jpeg

76D06F0A-5C11-442B-8F08-C958FFECA5C3.jpeg

42E135A5-A60E-472B-9C6A-7D3B845D2F16.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Decided to get into repairing the chassis, cutting of xtra steel grinding of welds etc, the transmission crossmembers need to be repaired and put back into the correct positions, ive done one,  the rear crossmember is original and still riveted in but had been cut and spread by 2 “ and a piece of pipe welded to the inside, 

looks like the rear spring hanger mounts bolt to the outsides and back of the rear crossmember, anyone know of any spare parts and of course some wheels please let me know

mike

342048BC-F84F-409A-84CC-3A53EFA3674C.jpeg

6EDEF387-B75E-4A98-800D-01C1D8F34156.jpeg

84206A04-F4CC-43AA-A19F-8EEC9D972722.jpeg

F544127E-7AAB-48DB-8649-3821B776933B.jpeg

F79789D1-E097-4FF6-921F-96ECF699709C.jpeg

AC9D5119-0910-4F61-9976-CB3376D5E835.jpeg

5EA495D8-F2D7-43B8-89E8-A4C106C2FACD.jpeg

What a mess . So many modifications. What are those attachments to the two rear corners ? Some sort of stand so the frame can be used for a stationary base ?  It looks like you are doing a great job of bringing it back to life. 

Hi Greg,   those steel tubes on the corners went down to a platform that hung out the back, according to the previous owner it was a 1915 firetruck with a small chemical tank at the rear and that platform added to the rear, then someone modified the chassis to take a large 3 cylinder early marine engine, i think it was called a Carter engine?? from memory made in california, i have one picture of it,      the chassis is actually in not bad, shape really, the previous owner imported this from the states around 2/3 years ago as all he wanted was the engine, 

i think this chassis is the 3/4 ton white truck but theres a few things confusing me, like the brass radiator that came with it mounts to the top frame rails, not via the shocks on the sides of the rad like others ive seen, and the trans is cast alloy not steel, could this be a  car???  But  the differential is almost the same size as the one in my 3 ton white, its a bit of a puzzle??

Mike

3F1CCE87-B0FD-4D97-AC10-7266E3D23A11.jpeg

• Like 1

Mike,remember White was both a commercial vehicle company and car company. I think what you have is a 3/4 ton chassis they mounted a small bus or stage coach type body on the chassis. I can say for certain it’s not a car chassis from what I have seen and worked on the last 12 months. The radiator is similar to my cars unit. That said.....remember where I wrote my frame was so heavy it resembled a truck frame more than a car frame? White just built everything heavy. I have a friend parting out what’s left of a 1925 1 1/2 ton truck. PM me you number and I will have him call you. He has the starter, generator, carb, and a bunch of other stuff, and it looks like it is the same engine. Best, Ed.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

That old photo with the marine engine is something else !  So I expect mounting that engine in the White chassis was just a convenient way to move the marine engine around for display at old timer engine shows and the like.

I think there is a good chance that the radiator at least is from a White car. I don't think I have ever seen a White truck that didn't use the big side sprung mountings .

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

Hi greg and ed, yeh the chassis was used just so the engine could be run and moved, thats why the trans was moved right back and a frame built on the front to mount the radiator, which as we both agree is probably a car unit ? although i cant find any other holes on the top of the frame where the cast rad brkts would of been riveted for the shock mounts to attach to, maybe it is an early frame??

mike

Mike, post a photo of your trans............asap. We may be able to grab one reasonable. Chassis is going to the scrapper tomorrow.......we MIGHT be able to hold it. Ed

24367EE2-EAD4-4EF4-AB13-020C58DEA9AF.png

AA1BA1F9-BF70-4D06-A080-108AD907EA91.png

8F9C6C44-DA46-411E-AD1B-AEE1481463CF.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

The chassis I posted photos of is going to scrap in 18 hours or less.......if you need anything speak up now..........thanks. Ed

Ed, looks a lot later, i dont think anything will interchange, as its heavier too, but thanks for thinking of me, ive added a picture of the rear end of my frame, has 3 bolt holes on the side an 2 at the back which i assume the rear spring mounts fix too

mike

097F35BB-59DF-4F80-8A1D-D1A9D07730FD.jpeg

Spent  another day on the chassis, managed to remove the front trans crossmember and ive repaired it back to its original shape, it was cut in half rewelded  and then had been bolted and welded in towards  the rear, had to die grind the welds and bash out with a chisel, it was too tight to get in with a cut off disc, got some holes to fill up in the chassis and reweld the rearend crossmember and then i can move onto the next step, springs and axles.

mike

5ACF4DBA-C934-4C3C-9014-2721BA9E2DB3.jpeg

EC4062E7-3B3B-45A2-A50E-E8EA1E3F952F.jpeg

E86CE4AE-7614-4582-B6B6-CEE58AA58923.jpeg

F8762632-6ABF-4C73-899C-1796E0023F2A.jpeg