WTB Brake wheel cylinder bleeder valve stems for 1925 Kissel

DBKissel

Hi all,

I found a previous owner incorrectly installed a male pipe threaded insert with valve into the wheel cylinders on my 1925 Kissel with 4 wheel hydraulic exterior band brakes [Lockheed].  The cylinders have a straight thread and tapered seat at the bottom.  I am trying to find the correct stems.  They also are easier to bleed with the extension as shown in "B" in the picture.  [The B item fits my 1927 Kissel Brougham with similar setup].  Any idea where to find these stems?  For what it's worth, I tried a 7/16" x 18 tpi bolt and the pitch matches well to the A part. It almost threads into the cylinder- 1389686016_Bleedervalveon1925Speedsterwnotes.jpg.7851e1dbbef35f5d31fc068ad4a234d9.jpgIMG_2004.JPG.0fc7a8a4b409ea52adc4770245052272.JPGIMG_2004.JPG.0fc7a8a4b409ea52adc4770245052272.JPG

The bleeder screw for your Lockeed external band brakes are probably the same as the same period Chrysle's and are  7/16x20 size bleeders. I found nothing new that was suitable or came close. The moder 7/16x20s found are all too short! They have to extend long enough over the top of the banjo bolts acorn headed nut(on a(Chrysler) in order to get a wrench on..I have my original set and a  set that was custom made new and bought from a forum member just in case.

Check valve bleeder will be of no real help on this type of system as it basically bleeds 98% though plain old gravity via a high mounted remote reservior on the firewall and one guy can do it..pedal pumping up of pressure is not really part of the bleeding. But this another story.

Your Kissel wheel cylinders may have a different banjo bolt set up or placement of the bleeder out let?

Here is are some pictures.

Left to right.

Modern bleeder,original bleeder, missing dust cap/bolt and gasket,new bleeder with dust cap/bolt and fiber gasket.

These cars were originally supplied with it's own bleeder hose with a male threaded fitting on one end to screew into the bleeder bolt .

0530212152a.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ArticiferTom said:

maybe 7/16 - 20 ,a common in 20'-30s

That is the current standard fine thread bolt also. 

• Like 1

On 5/30/2021 at 1:33 PM, ArticiferTom said:

Does the almost mean it is maybe 7/16 - 20 ,a common in 20'-30s . Do not know on Kissels .

It certainly could be!   Didn't know that thread existed.  Thanks to you and all that helped.  I have the front cylinder off [again after many fixes] and will either find a machine shop to measure the threads or simply buy a 7/16 x 20 and try it.  You guys are great to provide assistance.  I hope some day I can add a few tidbits of experience. /Doug

22 hours ago, Flivverking said:

The bleeder screw for your Lockeed external band brakes are probably the same as the same period Chrysle's and are  7/16x20 size bleeders. I found nothing new that was suitable or came close. The moder 7/16x20s found are all too short! They have to extend long enough over the top of the banjo bolts acorn headed nut(on a(Chrysler) in order to get a wrench on..I have my original set and a  set that was custom made new and bought from a forum member just in case.

Check valve bleeder will be of no real help on this type of system as it basically bleeds 98% though plain old gravity via a high mounted remote reservior on the firewall and one guy can do it..pedal pumping up of pressure is not really part of the bleeding. But this another story.

Your Kissel wheel cylinders may have a different banjo bolt set up or placement of the bleeder out let?

Here is are some pictures.

Left to right.

Modern bleeder,original bleeder, missing dust cap/bolt and gasket,new bleeder with dust cap/bolt and fiber gasket.

These cars were originally supplied with it's own bleeder hose with a male threaded fitting on one end to screew into the bleeder bolt .

0530212152a.jpg

You are spot on- I need extensions too,  Here is my set up with incorrect stems.  Thx!

IMG_2017.JPG