Removing Turbine Center Pieces

wimpyv6

It has been many many years since I was last part of the BCA and ROA and I am amazed at what individuals are doing to provide for the car collector industry, kudos to you all. 

I scanned the forum looking for an answer.

I want to get the spinners re-chromed and I need to get the center pieces out hopefully, without damaging them.  Looks like some kind of glue/hardened putty. Have a few of these like this.  Don't know if this is factory install or a quick and dirty fix.

Any ideas on how to get the centers out?  Utility knife?

Assuming a certain level of success, what would be the best way to reassemble?  Don't really want to glue them back in.

some type of wide base springs/cork?  (with some neoprene sheeting to over the back of the center)

Anyone reproduce the steel bands that are riveted to the base to hold the center caps to the turbine wheel?

thanks, len.

20210529_144555[1].jpg

Len,

Where's the Turbinator when you need him.  Probably in bed or close by this time in the evening.  I'm sure he'll be on in the AM just give him time.

He ALSO has reproduced exact NORS centers for '63's & 64's.

Tom T.

Yeah, when I was scanning for an answer, I saw the truly impressive work he does on the turbines.  Makes me want to drive to his house, drop off a blank check and load up the car.  Truly remarkable.

From my experience with the cast aluminum wheel cover centers, it appears to me that someone with a glue gun has been in there before you.  The caps should be held in place with a ring that is screwed to the spinner. Pictures tomorrow. (If the Turb doesn't beat me to it.)

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Sir, many ways to remove the emblems from the center cap. What you have is a part someone else has crafted another way to keep the emblem stable. You must dig the emblem out the best you can with hand tools. First remove the adhesive holding that gem in place. It should easily pry out.

I cannot accurately explain how to fit replacement emblems in the two bar spinners w/o seeing what your spinner looks like. Spinners to get chromed and chromed with sufficient plating is wickedly expensive. Of course it can be done, but have deep pockets and long arms. If you are interested in having your job requirements reviewed I would be happy to show refinished chrome spinners, emblems, wheel covers etc.

A05B31E6-2391-452A-8B63-4749DDF99052.jpeg

3 minutes ago, wimpyv6 said:

starting to piece this together.

Sir, you are on track. There are no aftermarket fastening solutions available. Clean out the debris and the spinner. Fit the replacement emblem in place and glue. Once the glue has dried pack the spinner with rubber of sorts place your center cap over the spinner and screw the center cap. That is the best I can do without giving away what I sell.

Turbinator

Edited by Turbinator (see edit history)

1 minute ago, RivNut said:

Thanks Bob. As I was lying in bed last night I thought "oh crap" the ring I referred to is used for holding the spinner to the cone. Glad you guys get up early and straightened out my faux pas.

Ed, it’s easy to lose if you do it every day. With re-use of the spinners there are as many methods to put it back together as there are people.

Turbinator

All.

If memory serves me well the `63 spinners have square tabs which are part of the spinner casting which are folded over to retain the center emblem. There was originally some sort of dum-dum in the tab areas. The problem is, when someone unbends the tabs to replace the emblem they break off, hence the adhesive. The later spinners have a different style retention system.

Tom

3 hours ago, wimpyv6 said:

Should the spinners have both the posts and the tabs?

thanks, len.

Sir, you are going to craft your own solution. No aftermarket product exists. If the clamps can be used again sure clamp them over emblem. If the clamps are knurled you are going have to remove the useless clamps.

Turbinator

36 minutes ago, RivNut said:

This particular one has a 64 medallion in it.  The 63 spinners are the same except for the plastic center. 

I dont think that is correct. I havnt handled the spinners in awhile and I`m out of town so dont have access to the spinners but I recall the `63 spinners having 4 flat tabs which retain the center emblem....as in the first pic posted.

Tom

Tom,

I got out the box that the cast covers and knock-offs for my 63 were in and disassembled one of them. It looked kind of strange so I took apart a couple of others.  All looked like the one in the picture that I've attached. Some kind of melted plastic or something else that looks gooey but dries really hard.  Doesn't look like what I thought Buick would do, but these came off my 63 and I bought in '82 from the original owner.  One center stiil has the cracked center that was on the car when i bought it. I can see what looks like some tabs. Whether the black goo is factory or applied by the original owner, I don't know.  It's different than the 64 that I pictured earlier. Could Buick have found a problem and made a production change between 63 and 64. Or mid-year during one of the years?

IMG_20210530_183544585.jpg.32a64289e41af3ec87eaac32966850df.jpg

Gents, I’ve opened a few two bar spinners over past 4-5 years. What is consistent is I don’t believe Buick had a standardized work process in place for fitting the emblems. I’ve opened a number that have been riveted closed when I received the spinner. Seems to me I’m always surprised how Buick fit the emblem in place. The trick is removing an emblem that can be restored without damaging the emblem any more than it already is. The second trick is preparing the spinner so you can fit the replacement emblem in place. These little tricks are nothing like the skill needed rebuilding an engine at an Engine machine shop, but still fun.

Turbinator 

My experience is as I stated and has been demonstrated in the pics...the '63 spinners have 4 tabs which are part of the spinner casting which secure the center emblem...and the '64, '65 versions have a riveted plate which secures the center emblem. I don't think it's any more complicated than that.

Tom

First, thank you to all the service men and women and their families.  

Anyone reproducing these spinners?  Just kidding.  '64 by the tail lights,  0.003 cubic inch motor (.049cc remember airplanes?), runs on methanol/nitromethane/castor oil.

1696467280_20210531_1113521.jpg.594140148e29d1abb66303c31a2818c8.jpg

20210531_112429[1].jpg

20210531_111449[1].jpg

• Like 1