57 Ball Joint Replacement Procedure

I am putting new upper and lower ball joints and A-arm pivot shafts on my 57 Special.   The lower A-arm came off just fine, but the upper is a real chore.  I removed the lower radiator hose to get the shaft assembly out, but still had to remove the end caps to get them out.  Not sure how I am going to get it back in.

Am I missing something?  Is there a better way to remove and replace the upper A-arm than I am doing?

My old lower ball joint wouldn't take grease, which is why I am replacing it.  The upper A-arm was really loose, so it needed replacing as well. 

On 5/29/2021 at 5:24 PM, gearhead said:

The upper A-arm was really loose, so it needed replacing as well.

Have you researched 1957 Buick Ball Joints? I hear they are different, so many many OK ball joints were replaced early in life, leading to the lack of availability today. 

Professor Gearhead is well aware of the 57 ball joint curse. 😁

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2021 at 10:33 PM, Angelfish said:

Do I understand correctly that the a-arms from a ‘59 can be retrofitted to the ‘57, eliminating the unobtainable ball joints?   Or did I dream that?  

You are half right. The upper A arm is unique to the 57.  It wraps over the frame rail. The 58 and 59 had the mount on top of the frame rail.  The lower A arm, however will work on the 57. It does, however, require the spindle from the 58/59. So, you can do the lower arm and ball joint swap and save a bunch of money.  I actually bought a 58 suspension intending to do just that, but the lower arms were so rusted I chose to just keep the 57 ball joints.  BTW, that is one very difficult and time consuming job.  All the bolts are close fitting in the the holes holding everything together and I had to heat with a torch to get them out.