Total brake system rebuild 1931 PA - Help

31plymouth

After driving my PA for 50 years I think it's time for a brake system rebuild.  I ordered new brake cylinders.   After seeing cost of reseleeving and discussions on brass vs stainless steel, I decided to try new ones that are available. I have honed and rebuild my originals or replacements a few times but would like to try new since the old ones seem  to leak or seize  after a few years.

Questions:

Does anyone have a part number for a Napa or other supplier for the brake hoses?  I see them on ebay for $80.00 for 3 but seems a little pricey.

Can I replace the old lines with new pieces if I get a brake line bender?  Difficult?

Should I use DOT 5 if all new?

Anything else to consider?

Thanks

If you're a stickler for originality, try White Post Restorations.  https://whitepost.com/brake-sleeving-rebuilding-services/  They are in White Post, Virginia.

They have a brake service in addition to their restoration work.  They've redone the original brake components on all my old cars and I've never had a problem.  They did my 1930 30U wheel cylinders, and they are perfect.  They also have a LIFETIME guarantee, so you don't have to worry.    

there is a lot of debate over dot 3 or dot 5 all your parts must be new or very clean to change to dot 5. i used  dot 5 in my pa 15 years ago, and every thing was pitted up any way when i pulled it apart 4 years ago. so i cleaned it up again replaced lines and hoses and  all rubber stuff, i got it all from napa(they mached the old hoses), and i bought cyl. kits by size not make of car.bent the lines my self. and i used dot 3 this time.

I can only hope that my local Napa would try to match the hoses.  I'll probably stick with Dot 3.  I've seen some line bending tools online. Not to expensive and didn't look too difficult.

Want to get this done so I can take the PA out for a ride on her birthday.  July 18th build date per the Chrysler Historical records.

• Like 1

all three hoses were the same on my car. maybe i can find the invoice in my file for the part # it may take a day or so. i shure would like a set of those brake shoes listed on ebay by moparpro  but 280 bucks a axle is more than i can afford. i think the orignial  brake lines were copper i never understood why. i used steel, it might be a good idea to research what type lines would be best. napa only had 50'' lengths i had to couple two together to get all the way back to axle 

i was wrong about getting hoses from napa, i found them on ebay for 25 bucks, they are still listed but for 29 dollars now. guys user name is luchonota same name i bought from 12 years ago. they worked fine.

• Like 1

I  had seen the brake hoses from luchonota. I was hesitant because of coming from Argentina but I'll give them a try.  Got my new cylinders from Bernbaum yesterday.  Going to start on the brake lines soon.

Thanks for your input

Just checked inline tube..    They go back to 1932.   Damn!  Have to check my books to see how much different they are.   I know the 32  has a longe wheelbase.