SF to NY in Curved Dash Oldsmobiles

I have a bit of history with the recreation of the San Francisco to NY journey in 1903 by hitman and Hammond.  In 1986 Roy Bernick, Joe Merli and Gary Hoonsbeen recreated that event,  Sadly Joe and Gary are no longer with us.  I've been going through a massive amount of pictures and thought I would share these with you.  They stopped for the night at my dealership, we put the cars away, offered them all our facilities for repairs and cleaning.  I had to leave for an out-of-state funeral but had my staff take them out to dinner.  I missed a great opportunity to hear a lot of stories first hand.  Hope these pics are of some interest.

Dang it, I thought these pics were oriented right and do not know how to change!  Turn your head sideways I guess.

cdo trip 1.jpg

CDO Trip.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for posting Steve, that had to be quite an adventure for them. 

Terry

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Thank you!!  I was told how to correct this before but forgot! Old age...😁

I don't blame old age, I just claim that there is so much information up there it takes a little longer to sort through it all.  And hey after the last year that we've had if that is the only thing that goes sideways on you this year I'd say that you are doing extremely well.   Thanks for all you do for us!

Don

• Like 1

A little bit off topic but being from north of the border where GM tended to be Chev/Olds with Chev Trucks and Pontiac/Buick/GMC Truck how common was it for stand alone Oldsmobile dealerships?

Don  

GREAT PHOTOGRAPHS! Thank you for posting these. I remember at the time the drive taking place and thinking how brave they were to do that.

And NOT old age! no way, just perhaps like some of us here ( me included) you are more comfortable with a manual typewriter, made by Underwood, photographic prints on Kodak paper, and all the easy press and click of a small button just sometimes seems to "instant". Like driving a standard shift car with straight cut gears compared to the later model automatics................

1 hour ago, 3macboys said:

A little bit off topic but being from north of the border where GM tended to be Chev/Olds with Chev Trucks and Pontiac/Buick/GMC Truck how common was it for stand alone Oldsmobile dealerships?

Don  

Not common at all, when Olds announced the shut down there were only 64 of us single point stores.  My former "partner" already had the Honda store so I was Olds only.

• Thanks 2