1937 Dictator EX-23 Carburetor

I have a 1937 Dictator that has been sitting for some years.  I had taken the EX-23 carburetor off, taken it apart for cleaning and put it back together.  I'm looking for the correct settings on the various adjustments.  Can anyone help with this?  Thanks in advance!

Thank you, Gary.  This is a big help!  Do you know what the initial setting would be for the main discharge jet?  While I have sufficient vacuum, the gas is not atomizing.  I thinking that means the main jet is open too much.

Thanks again!

Dave

I'm not sure what the settings should be, but I don't think you can adjust anything with the main discharge jet except by changing jets.  The 1937 Shop Manual has lots of info about the carbs, reprints available from Studebaker parts vendors.  I'm going to be finding out very soon about how to do adjustments on EX-23 carbs...

1797293925_Indycarengine-Ash.jpg.b8353672c13b779ee9e3e9c96ca8e121.jpg

The carbs were rebuilt by Harry Benchwick at Benchwick Carburetors in Youngstown, OH.  I have to give Harry mixed reviews.  He did take the ancient carbs, stripped them down, replated them, and put them together well enough that the car started right up and ran smoothly.  On the downside, I didn't want the gold-colored zinc chromate finish, but he doesn't have a process to do clear zinc chromate.  Also, he used the wrong size red fiber washer in the main jet plug that goes in the bottom of the fuel bowl - 1/2" i.d when it should have been 7/16" i.d. - so all four carbs leaked gasoline badly.  Harry claims to know about rebuilding Stromberg carbs. 

Gary,

Thats interesting.  I, too, had Benchwick rebuild my EX-23.  I was hoping, when I saw yours were gold in color, that someone else rebuilt them and it was the correct sheen.  I was a little disappointed at the finish.  I just noticed mine is leaking as well at the main jet.  Now I know why.  Where did you find a correct washer?  7/16 you say?  Thanks,

nate

Nate, I just took a sheet of 1/32" thick gasket material that I bought at AutoZone or Advanced Auto Parts, used a punch to make a 7/16 hole and cut around the edges with scissors to make an o.d. of about 5/8"-11/16".  I had all four carbs fixed in about 20 minutes.  It worked fine, but I was p.o.'d that I had to do it.  Most of the red fiber washers you see online are metric sizes, but only available in 10 or 12 mm i.d. (but not 11 mm) or other not-useful metric sizes.   Restorationstuff.com has the right size ones, 7/16 x 5/8 x 1/32 for $0.30 each, as well as many other inch size red fiber washers.  Maybe it was you who put me onto Benchwick in the first place.  At least he knew what the EX-23 carbs are, and now they are working.

Thanks Gary,

I’m actually calling restoration stuff today so I’ll add that washer to my order.  If I have the carb rebuilt in the future, I’ll use Dave T-bow.  He does excellent work.  Thanks again!

Nate