1936 Cord, not mine.

Nice looking car, but as the owner of one, “last driven two years ago” would worry me.  So many things to dry up, corrode, or just not work correctly.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, trimacar said:

Nice looking car, but as the owner of one, “last driven two years ago” would worry me.  So many things to dry up, corrode, or just not work correctly.  

One of the best prewar driving cars you can find is a well sorted Cord 810/812.   One of the worst driving prewar cars you can find is a poorly sorted Cord 810/812.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, alsancle said:

One of the best prewar driving cars you can find is a well sorted Cord 810/812.   One of the worst driving prewar cars you can find is a poorly sorted Cord 810/812.

AJ is correct on that statement as to "Well Sorted" verses not - owning a Cord is a commitment, though a very worthy commitment. 

43 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

AJ is correct on that statement as to "Well Sorted" verses not - owning a Cord is a commitment, though a very worthy commitment. 

Some of the exotic Pre war cars certainly make you wish you were committed! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I once asked a Cord expert if he’d be willing to sort out the transmission and shifting on my 812 phaeton.  He asked, do you plan to drive it?  I said yes, and his reply was, well, YOU need to sort it out and understand how it works.  He continued, when you’re driving it, have a problem, and are sitting on the side of the road, NOBODY else will be available to help you.  You need to learn how the electro pneumatic system works and understand it.  I did, and he’s correct.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, trimacar said:

I once asked a Cord expert if he’d be willing to sort out the transmission and shifting on my 812 phaeton.  He asked, do you plan to drive it?  I said yes, and his reply was, well, YOU need to sort it out and understand how it works.  He continued, when you’re driving it, have a problem, and are sitting on the side of the road, NOBODY else will be available to help you.  You need to learn how the electro pneumatic system works and understand it.  I did, and he’s correct.

He was right.  I’m 6 months in on that.  You only learn from doing.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, trimacar said:

I got the same great advice when I was 16.  However, once you get all the bugs out, your next problem is many years later and you've forgotten half of what you have learned.  The only way to stay on top is to have multiple cars.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, mike brady said:

I got the same great advice when I was 16.  However, once you get all the bugs out, your next problem is many years later and you've forgotten half of what you have learned.  The only way to stay on top is to have multiple cars.

There is a certain wisdom with sticking with one kind of car and maybe having a couple of flavors, like a convertible and a sedan.   My dad never had two of the same thing and I've got the same bad habits.

• Like 1

That’s why I only bought Pierce Arrows for the last thirty years with five exceptions............

• Like 1