Interesting New Link on the ROA Home Page

J3Studio

An online automobile magazine in Australia has posted yet another in-depth article on the origins of the 1963 Riviera:

https://www.shannons.com.au/club/news/retroautos/design-to-driveway-buicks-1963-riviera/

—I'm beginning to think you could write a decent-sized book just covering the events between October 1957 (1958 Thunderbird announcement) and October 1962 (1963 Riviera introduction).

Edited by J3Studio (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• J3Studio changed the title to Interesting New Link on the ROA Home Page

I’d seen something about this awhile back. XP92 reminded me of a Chevrolet project. XP719 was revolutionary in design in my opinion and I put it in the class of Rolls Royce, Lincoln Mark 1,2,&3. Even Eldorado from the 60’s weren’t as iconic as Gen 1’s, I’ve had a bunch of them and still think the Riviera out shines them.

my 2 cents.

Ray

• Like 1

As a side note, if GM had got on the bandwagon back in 58-59, we might not have our Gen 1’s the way they are today. Look at the 58 Impala, it might have been something closer to that body than what we have.  58 Impala is a nice looking car and I’d have considered one if Gen 1’s hadn’t been  made. I for one am glad things turned out the way they did.

Sometimes things workout just fine.

Ray

On the '58 Impala, didn't GM have to scramble because of Chrysler releasing their "Forward Look" in '57? 1958 GMs were a 1 year only offering. Ford went 2 more years before switching from Shoebox to los slung car in 1960