Weird Ebay shipping issue

DAVES89

In the last 2 weeks I ordered two items off Ebay [2 different vendors] who billed me correctly but shipped to the wrong address and can't get the items back. They also can't tell me where it was shipped [Fed Ex did tell me it was within 5 miles of me] but I can't go to that residence and ask for the item.

is this a common experience?

I think that is a very uncommon experience Dave.  Knowing it has been delivered to the wrong address, I'm surprised FedEx isn't more proactive in the recovery of this package.

Yes, you need to find out if it was Ebay using the wrong address or Fed-X made the delivery mistake.  You should be able to log into Ebay and see what your shipping address on record is.  If it's wrong, then it will most likely be the address where your package went.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 28 Chrysler said:

I had a package that went to the wrong address. The people delivered it while Fed EX never checked on it or admitted any mistake even after we gave them the address it went to.

I had a similar problem (non-ebay) with a title for a car. The attorney representing the estate put down Place instead of Avenue for my address. The tracking listed it as delivered, which it was not. FedEx delivered to my house three weeks later. For the life of me I do not know why they ask for a return address, if they don't use it. 

Search to see if there are any similar named streets, it might be there, most likely it will sort itself out  

I bought a set of bumpers, the seller sent it to the wrong person, someone who had bought something else from him.
Seller stupidly said it was not his problem and he would not give me a refund, and didn't care if I filed a dispute seeking my money back.
It ended up the honest recipient of them forwarded them to me. I think it was $175. 
The recipient could have just kept them, claiming they did not arrive or maybe got stolen off the porch or something.

• Like 1

They are supposed to print out your "verified address" as on file with PayPal, and use that.
If they are a high volume seller they probably mix things up.
In your case I don't know.
If they are a very low volume seller and just look at their computer screen and hand write your address on the package there is huge room for error.

My address is correct as it shows up when I place the order. In both cases the vendors acknowledged that they used the wrong address. Both vendors didn't look like real high volume sellers, so not paying attention or incompetence. I check and double check before I go to the Post Office and then have the Post Office verify the address as well. Of course I am a real low volume seller so I can afford to take the time.

One would think that if they admitted to shipping to the wrong address they would make right!

The fed ex, ups and usps are on my street daily. Always the same drivers, I am sure they most likely know who is who by now, that being said I came home one day and there was a package on my front porch. It belonged to my next door neighbor. I walked it over and placed it on their stoop. What became of it after that is on them. I suppose it could have been a reserve driver that day, maybe he saw the address wrong who knows. 

• Like 1

Well in regards to the one shipper who sent USPS I suggested he call the local office of the wrong delivered town and give them the tracking number and have it returned back to him. He actually listened, made the call and the local office intercepted the item and it is now being returned to the vendor to be relabeled and then sent to me.

• Like 2

One thing to be aware of is if your address info in PayPal doesn't match the E-bay address it will either result in non-payment if E-bay and PayPal systems are talking to each other and you would get a notice from E-bay or PayPal that there is a problem with the address or if the systems are not talking to each other and your order may get shipped to an erroneous address.  My experience has been the seller is always on the hook until you get your order if you open a case and dispute the order based on not receiving it.  Once the expected delivery date passes just go under contact seller and pick I did not receive my item to get a case started. 

Maybe totally unrelated, but you never know: my credit card statement had a bill from FedEx. Wait, I hadn't used them for anything! Google showed it to be a common scam. Others have had a hassle from their card company but mine came through with the dispute. The deal is someone gets your card number and buys something in your name but drop shipped to their address, making out as if you were the seller. Looks like it cost FedEx $85 in my case because Citicard didn't pay.

With the advent of online tracking I wouldn't be surprised at anything the bumblers at the USPS, FedEx, or UPS do. The stuff looks like it way spilled into The Wayward Bus.

As a seller I have made shipping mistakes. Once I got two parts mixed up. Sent one to Washington state or Oregon, the other to Florida. The guy in Florida notified me. He was upset because he was from a South American country and wanted to stuff it in his carry on luggage. The Washington address appear to be a drop off point for Canadian pick up which had left for destinations north. I told the southern guy that we paid people in Hollywood to think up stories like that. He stayed in bad humor until the part arrived moments before his flight. Happy again he offered to buy me lunch if I was in Miami..... not if I have to sit with my back to the door!

• Haha 1

I once got two labels mixed up and sent packages to the wrong buyers. Thankfully they were both willing to forward what they received to the correct address and I of course picked up the tab for the additional shipping. I was my mistake after all.

I manufacture a woodworking tool and ship internationally with USPS. I sent a 45 lb package to Norway and it didn't arrive with the 2nd package in the shipment. A week later, I heard from the Post Office (they know me well) that it was received by a church in Nigeria. Seems that several packages were shipped to Nigeria by another fellow in my small town, and he was told by the Nigeria recipient about it, over the phone. The Post Office was no help (what could they do?), and so I prepared another tool to send.  Ken, the other shipper, told the Post Office, and sympathized with my plight and volunteered to have his man in Nigeria forward it on to Norway, as the address label said Norway, and not Nigeria. Seems that Mike, the Post Office clerk had let some of the customs paperwork pile up instead of affixing them to the package while I stood there. So, my package got a Nigeria customs label. I was amazed, for the fellow in Nigeria sent the package on to Norway, costing him $265.00. Ken and the Nigerian trusted me, for which I was extremely grateful. I forwarded the money to Ken, and the Norwegian fellow received his tool, albeit, from Nigeria. Ever since then, I stand there and make sure the customs papers are placed on every package.  What became of the Nigerian package that received my Norway label was never known.    Lee

Edited by Leland Davis (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Leland Davis said:

I manufacture a woodworking tool and ship internationally with USPS. I sent a 45 lb package to Norway and it didn't arrive with the 2nd package in the shipment. A week later, I heard from the Post Office (they know me well) that it was received by a church in Nigeria. Seems that several packages were shipped to Nigeria by another fellow in my small town, and he was told by the Nigeria recipient about it, over the phone. The Post Office was no help (what could they do?), and so I prepared another tool to send.  Ken, the other shipper, told the Post Office, and sympathized with my plight and volunteered to have his man in Nigeria forward it on to Norway, as the address label said Norway, and not Nigeria. Seems that Mike, the Post Office clerk had let some of the customs paperwork pile up instead of affixing them to the package while I stood there. So, my package got a Nigeria customs label. I was amazed, for the fellow in Nigeria sent the package on to Norway, costing him $265.00. Ken and the Nigerian trusted me, for which I was extremely grateful. I forwarded the money to Ken, and the Norwegian fellow received his tool, albeit, from Nigeria. Ever since then, I stand there and make sure the customs papers are placed on every package.  What became of the Nigerian package that received my Norway label was never known.    Lee

That Nigerian man must be really nice.  I'll bet it's the same one I hear from occasionally that is related to a Prince that wants to send me $800,000. ;)

• Haha 1

Yes, Two years ago, I had  a buyer for a 1940 Indian Scout engine.  I sold it all apart, and I was to reassemble it.  Took pics of everything and sent to buyer. All is well. Well NO!

These engines have selectable size crankshaft shims. 

I found that I needed an internal crankshaft shim, of a certain size, that I didn't have. I looked in all of my stuff and didn't have one.   Located one across the country in CA. OK, ship it right away in USPS Priority mail.

No problem; until I got a notification, that the item was delivered to my shop, on Saturday (today) before a long weekend.  USPS was here and gone and no package from CA.   Did what I could and called emailed everybody in the USPS chain.  They say package was delivered. Back to the USPS chain; and I am running out of time this is a Sat. before a long weekend.

A NEW Rural carrier, first day on the job, got lost and a supervisor had to go and find him and finish the route. I only found this out through a contact at the local Post Office. USPS did not tell me this.

The carrier says he delivered the package, his Father is a supervisor at another post office. So USPS says it was delivered, Period.  I file a claim 

On the following Wednesday, the package showed up in a neighbors mail box, 1 mile away.  USPS says all is Good.  The carrier is still on the job, unfortunately

intimeold    

4 hours ago, intimeold said:

A NEW Rural carrier, first day on the job, got lost and a supervisor had to go and find him and finish the route.

Reminded me of another USPS story from history: https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/politics/1993/08/28/television-photographer-says-he-tipped-waco-cult/7f937346-8516-4900-a1dc-3cd8008e5172/

I haven't had any problems with eBay, as a company, and haven't noticed any recent change in delivery or reliability, either negative or positive. I had to order something off of eBay recently because the only thing I found locally was from a bigger box store, and not exactly what I needed. And this not-exactly-what-I-needed item was over twice what I paid for essentially the same (but more correct) item on eBay. Unfortunately, the only time I've had issues on eBay was with sellers of affordable old cars. Not talking about dealers, but seemingly regular Joe's and flippers who even had decent feedback ratings. They are among the least trustworthy sellers on the platform, in my opinion. Of course, some of them are trustworthy and are probably regulars on the forum, so there are exceptions.

I completely agree with JamesR... I have over 20,000 transactions on Ebay, with a feedback of over 8500, at 100%. But the several times I have had a problem was when going to pick up  cars by individual sellers. I would pay cash at the time of picking it up with my own trailer.  Three times I walked away from  deals because the seller had misled in the listing. I drove to Kingsville, Texas one time to pick up a 1930 Chevrolet that was described as 'Complete'.  When I got there, there was no engine, and when I asked about it, the seller walked me over to the back of a pickup truck where the disassembled engine lay, exposed to the elements. The crank was a rusted piece of junk. I said I was not going to buy the car and the seller got irate!  But the majority of cars I have found there are well worth what I paid, fortunately. All in all, I have had a 99.9% satisfaction rate with Ebay.

• Like 1

I sent many items UPS over the years and they did everything they could to discourage my patronage. It finally worked and I went over to FedEx for everything too big for USPS flatrate boxes. Everything I send FedEx is always by indirect signature so someone will have to sign for it,then they're not supposed to leave it on the porch or around the neighborhood where it can walk away. It's a few bucks more but always worth it. They have been very good but a couple years ago I sent two 1 1/2Ton truck wheels to New Mexico. They were boxed and shipped separately but at the same time to the same place. One arrived but they had no record at all of the other one even tho I had a receipt and tracking number. I refunded the guy his money and Fedex refunded mine.

On 5/29/2021 at 6:34 AM, Billy Kingsley said:

I have found that FedEx delivering to the correct address is the really rare occurrence. As in maybe three times in the past 25 years. 

I also find Fedx delivering to the wrong address is quite common.  I live at 630 Florence.  The next street over my neighbors live at 630 Lois.

We get each others packages all the time. We have come good friends with the swapping of packages, though they usually get the raw end of the deal as mine are usually heavier and bulkier:-).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1