1938 Ford V8 ?????

thehandleman

2 hours ago, thehandleman said:

Humm now really confused lol

Thanks

If it helps to confuse you more , Those may be for two different circuits. The resister to cut down on voltage and the circuit breaker to protect something. I 've never seen a circuit breaker in an ignition system 

That has a 60's /70's look to it.

I'm watching close here , hoping to learn something new.

This is supposed to be NOS for 33-38 Ford:

1933 - 1938 Ford Coil Resistor Fuse Terminal Block NOS Ford | eBay

Looks like yours is a later version remake using circuit breaker in place of fuses.

Edited by roysboystoys (see edit history)

I would say that it is an aftermarket board containing an ignition ballast resistor and a circuit breaker. I once worked on a 1937 Ford and the ballast resistor is for the ignition system, but I don't remember what the other circuit(s) adjacent to it were. The original one would not have had a circuit breaker. It would have had a fuse block instead of a circuit breaker.  

• Like 1

My 1938-44 Ford parts book indicates both a Fuse block and a circuit breaker were specified depending on year and/or model of car or truck.

The basic Ford part number is 12250.  I can't positively ID the orig photo, but it's likely oem.

BTW, It seems the circuit breaker (or fuse) protects the lighting circuit.

Edited by drwatson (see edit history)
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, drwatson said:

My 1938-44 Ford parts book indicates both a Fuse block and a circuit breaker were specified depending on year and/or model of car or truck.

The basic Ford part number is 12250.  I can't positively ID the orig photo, but it's likely oem.

BTW, It seems the circuit breaker (or fuse) protects the lighting circuit.

I knew I'd learn something from this. Thanks for your research, never expected a circuit breaker that early.

9N, 2N, and 8N Ford tractors also used the same ballast to cut the voltage from 6 to 4 volts to the ignition coil on a front mount distributor with the square coil. 1939-1949. That board would also work on a tractor. The last 8N's had a side distributor and a common round coil. 1950-1952.  

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 1