Any good convertible top cleaners ?

BuickNut

Hi,<P>I have a convertible that I left in the garage without the car cover on - while I've been doing lots of work on other projects in the garage. Lots of dust and dirt has been scared up, and consequently the top is very dirty. Aside from chastising me for being stupid and not using the car cover - does anybody know of a very good convertible top cleaner to pull deep down dirt and grime out that WON'T HURT the fabric or paint ? Thanks.

Guest COMPACTBC

An excellent product that I have used for many years to clean just about anything is available from Smart & Final stores here in California is called "BIG ORANGE". It is a citrus based liquid. It works really good on fabrics with a scrub brush and diluted about 33% to 50%.<P><BR><P>------------------<BR>

Guest scott mich bca # 6619

My top is a little dirty form the road, especially the leading edge. I have been told from an interior shop, that the best and only way to clean them is to steam clean them. Makes sense. I guess you either have to buy a small unit or rent one.<P>Good Luck<P>Scott Mich

I wouldn't steam clean unless it was canvas or something. That would be tough on a vinyl top, and on a plastic back window. Mild soap, a SOFT brush, and there are some convertible top cleaners (Meguiars or Mothers) out there would be enough. It shouldn't take much to clean it- don't scrub it like I did to my Mercury's landau roof....Oi!<P>------------------<BR>

I assumed that "Buicknut's" top was fabric, as he said he did not want to ruin the "fabric or paint".<P>Scott

The car is a 1970 vintage (....a NEW car..), so the fabric is probably a blend of nylon, vinyl, etc, I would assume...it sheds the rain without getting soaked through, so I'm assuming its not impregnated (of some type) canvas. I guess the first line of defense would have been some brains on my part in not putting it in harms way to begin with. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by scott mich bca # 6619:<BR><B>I assumed that "Buicknut's" top was fabric, as he said he did not want to ruin the "fabric or paint".<P>Scott</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

Scott -- Fabric is to material as crops are to food. There were lots of different materials used in conv tops over the years. I thought it might be nice if we had some idea what material we were dealing with before offering advice. Fast Orange might be OK on vinyl but I would hesitate to use it on pre war canvas. That's WW II, not Vietnam war.<P><BR>BuickNut -- I might suggest that you contact one of the companies selling replacement tops for your model car, and ask their opinion. They certainly should know more than most of us. I sure would hate to suggest something that would ruin your top. There are just too many self appointed experts on these forums. If you don't know their qualifications, you might well hesitate to blindly follow their rocommendations.<P>The Hat<BR>

I have been told to use "Goop" the hand cleaner, or powder Tide, I have used both and the work very well, the only thing is that if you use Tide, wash and wax you car afterward.

hatzer- just curious....what exactly are YOUR qualifications????<P>Nobody here is claiming to be a nuclear physicist...we just like to share ideas and experiences that might help someone else. <P>I am not sure about everybody else, but I will ALWAYS trust suggestions from a BCA member before I go to some car shop and get their "expert" opinion.<P>'nuff said..... <P>Matt<BR>BCA# 34544

What are my qualifications? NONE! I'm just a know it all like most of the rest of you guys. smile.gif<P>But you will note that I did NOT recommend any particular product. All I did was suggest contactacting a source of tops. Was that such a BAD thing? I still think they would know more than the average bear.. But then who am I to go against all of this collected dubious knowledge?<P>The Hat

Hatzer,<P>First of all, I did not recommend the "Fast Orange".<P>Secondly, I have a fabric top on my Buick.<P>The last year for fabric, is 1955, which is what I have. My interior shop recommended steam cleaning, I am not the expert, I quoted the professional shop.<P>Buicknut said he did not want to ruin his "fabric or paint". Hey fabric is fabric!<P>I assumed he had a fabric top from a car 1955 or earlier, like mine. My mistake for assuming.<P>He did not say his was a blend of fabric & vinyl or???, until you posted.<P>Hey we are all just tyring to help each other here. If you do not like the advise given, then just don't follow it.<P>Don't take that tone with me.<P>I do not see you being registered either.<P>I take pride and am proud of what I have to say here. I am registered, you can see who I am, where I am, and what I have said in the past, on this board.<P>Odviously the person seeking advise will decide himself if he wants to follow the given advise.<P>Scott Mich<BR>Assistant Director<BR>Chicagoland Chapter<P>P.S. Matt thanks for coming to my defense.

Scott Mich Did I do something wrong by asking the question about what type of material the top was made of? I thought it might make a difference if it was canvas or vinyl. confused.gif" border="0 That seemed to annoy you and it all went downhill from there<P>The dictionary says that fabric is a cloth woven from thread. That seems to eliminate vinyl unless it is made by weaving vinyl thread, and I do not know how vinyl is fabricated. I don't think it is woven. So asking what material the top was made of was not so outrageous, was it?<P>Considering that people were giving all kinds of advice without knowing the material they were dealing with, I thought it reasonable to offer a word of caution. Sorry if that ticked you off. frown.gif" border="0

I use Tide with a scrub pad, then wash with simple green afterwards. This is on a Vinyl top. It was the recommended method back some months when I posted a "how to clean" thread. <P>Scott is a very smart guy as well as many others here. You can ask just about anything and generally get at least one reply.<P>Nobody is a self proclaimed nuclear scientist or car guru. We all have our own trials and tribulations with our classics. We share those times, good and bad, with others in hopes that it helps them avoid the problems we had.<P>Nobody is paid, nobody is 'special', some are smarter then others, others just act the part in hopes for recognition. That, in the end is bad for everyone.<P>I wish I was half as knowledgeable about cars as I am with computers. I would imagine most others can say the same thing about their profession. I've been in mine for 20+ years; I only acquired my Buick 2 years ago.<P>Time, patience, and honesty will land you alot in ones quest for knowledge.<P>Now, to "The Hat". Learn to read sentences correctly. Second, how you say things is just as important as what you say.<P>Now, go, clean, drive, and enjoy your cars.<P>Enjoy there are people in the world willing to help out. That too, is a dwindling group.<P>Cheers!<P>-S

Guys,<P>Thanks for the advice. By all means I am going to check where I had the top installed, but also wanted to get input from other sources.<P>Tnanks for the time.

Guest John Chapman

BuickNut,<P>Here's some more to think about...LOL. I make the following recommendations under the assumption that you have a vinyl/vinyl coated top material on your Buick.<P>I've had most excellent results with Maguiars vinyl cleaner and treatments. The cleaner that works the best is #39. It's tough to find off the shelf, but well worth the search even if you have to mail order it. Keep in mind that it is a serious cleaner and the cleaned surface will require treatment with a vinyl preservative (#40). Lexol Vinylex is a good/equal alternative and has a nice new car smell, too.<P>Good Mail Order Selection:<BR> <A HREF="http://autofanatics.com/autofanatics1/cleanprod.html" TARGET=_blank>http://autofanatics.com/autofanatics1/cleanprod.html</A> <P><BR>If fitted with a clear plastic rear window, it too can be cleaned with Maguiars #17 and then treated with #10. For additional protection of the clear plastic, I recommend you use UV protectorant “303.” This is available at camping gear and spa supply stores and online at:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.303-products.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.303-products.com/</A> <P>A good discussion site of top fabrics and cleaning follows. Keep in mind this site caters to European import (Porsche and BMW) owners and they make our passion for Buicks pale in comparison to their fanaticism. But they know good stuff. Here:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.carcareonline.com/convert_tops.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.carcareonline.com/convert_tops.html</A> <P>OK, what I don't recommend and why:<P>Armorall -- this stuff will destroy your vinyl and rubber. How? It has an active ingredient that actually opens up the molecular bonds of the vinyl and rubber to allow the liquid polymers in Armorall to bond. Problem is, the molecular bonding is lost forever resulting in accelerated deterioration. Besides it looks like it was wiped down with Vaseline and smells bad, too.<P>Household Cleaners/Detergents (Dish Detergent, 409, Tide, Ajax...etc..) Most of these products (especially Tide, All, etc) are strong alkalines that can damage the paint and fabric. Some contain bleaching (chlorine) agents, too. Bad news for your car finish. They are also difficult to rinse off completely, so they sit there working long after you've finsihed up. Ajax and the like also contain abrasives that will work into the fabric and can't be removed. Those abrasives will also continue to work, grinding away and weakening fibers and finish.<P>The prime rule of thumb: If it has the word 'detergent' on the label, don't use it. You want 'soap'. In common English, they are used interchangeably, but there a important differences in how they work.<P>I'm done. Happy cleaning!<P>Cheers,<BR>John

On the topic of vinyl.<P>Several years ago I bought a boat. The seats were in terible shape I was going to trash them. They did'nt have any rips in them so my brother suggested I paint them. I thought he was nuts until he asked me how else do you think they get the color on the vinyl.<P>So I thought I'll let him paint them It's cheaper than buying new seats and for $30 for paint what have I got to loose. <P>He told me to take laquer thinner to the seats to soften them up and when I did the color of the seat started to come off. When I covered the seat with laquer thinner he painted the seat with the vinyl paint. It's been 6 years and there are no cracks in the seats and they still look new. <P>Just a thought.<P>Peter de Jong