Dick Sweeney Passing

Ray_Knott

I regret to announce the passing of Dick Sweeney, Charter Member of the ROA, who lost his long fight with cancer on May 22nd. Dick had been a technical advisor for the 1963-65 models for many years and sold parts from his Alpine, CA home. Dick was always very generous with his time and knowledge of the early models. He will be missed.

Thanks Ray.

Every time I would visit the USA I would make sure to drop by Dick's place and spend the day talking all things Riviera. 

He always made time for me.

At one time I stayed with Dick & Debbie when I was shipping a 65 Riv back to Australia. Dick helped me with all the parts

I needed. There was not much he did not know about 1st Gen Riv's as he bought his first in 1965 and continued to own them

until his last Riv which was a very nice bamboo cream 65GS.

Apart from his love of Rivs, for many years he was involved in the volunteer Police Dept. giving back and protecting his community.

Yes I will miss him.

My condolences to Debbie and family.

Tom Kunek

• Like 1

What a shame and my condolensces to his family. He had a great knowledge of these first gen Rivs, and I remember seeing his Verde Green 65 back in 2005 in Hemmings Muscle Machines, and it just spurred my desire to get a 65 Riv even more. 

Dick really knew those 65 Rivieras.......he was the head judge on the team that judged my 65 at

the Buick Club of America meet in Springfield Missouri......everybody on the team was asking

him about was was correct and what was not and he knew all the answers without hesitation.

He will be greatly missed.

Dick lived a good life at least from my perception over the past 30 years. He may no longer be here in the physical sense but his never ending generosity to willingly oblige in teaching those who came seeking information, as well as his likeable personality insures his legacy will live on through all those lives he touched.

Here is an excerpt from a Hemmings article on his 65 GS back in 2005

"I was a police officer in 1965 and saw a new Riviera. I just had to have one. They were banker's cars in those days, and very expensive. But I managed somehow, and bought a Seafoam Green 1965 Riviera. I had it only a couple of years, but I've owned about 30 of them, 22 at once. I now have two 1965 GS Rivieras in totally rust-free condition," says Dick Sweeney, who lives near San Diego, California. He admits the climate there is conducive to cars lasting much longer than their East Coast counterparts.

• Thanks 1

Sad to hear of Dick's passing.

I met Dick when he stopped in Vancouver to take an Alaska cruise a couple of years ago.  We picked him and his wife up from their hotel in our '65 Gran Sport and toured him around Stanley Park then driving up Cypress Mountain for a panoramic view of the city.  He said our car reminded him of his Verde Green Gran Sport, except without the vinyl roof his had.  Over dinner we enjoyed talking about Buicks, travel, his career as a police officer, and other things.   A gracious man and one who left his mark on many, including me.  Dick, may you rest in peace.

Dick always sought me out when attending either the ROA or BCA Nationals.  I had lived in La Mesa, CA not far from Dick during the '50's so he would let me know of the area's changes each time we'd meet.  He was a very personable guy and will be greatly missed.  Condolences to his family.  

• 2 weeks later...

When watching the video, the most interesting car related pics are in the middle starting at about 17 minutes in. Note that

at 20:21 in the video is a picture of the 65 Riviera Dick bought brand new. While on his police beat Dick saw a brand new 65 Riviera

going down the street and was blown away by how beautiful it was. He decided then and there that he was going to buy a new one, but

he had to search a bunch of Buick dealers to find one that had a sticker price that he could swing on a policeman's salary. The Seafoam

Green one that he bought was not his first choice of color but it was stripped down enough that he could swing the payments. It was the first of many 65's that he would purchase over the years, many of which he did extensive frame off restorations on. His first Seafoam Green Riviera had the very rare deluxe Light Green interior with light green cloth inserts on the bucket seats, an  interior that is almost never seen today. The great majority of Seafoam Green cars had the deluxe dark green vinyl interior or the black interior. In the middle of the video are some interesting pics of 65's in

the middle of frame off restorations.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)