Will a 1940 Packard 8 be the same as a 1935?

Ed Luddy

Looking for help/advice on subject I know nothing about. My friend has a 1935 Packard sedan that needs an engine. It's a 8 cylinder car. I know of someone else who has a 1940 straight 8 Packard engine/ transmission combo for sale in running condition. Are they fairly close as far as doing a retro fit? I'm trying to keep him from putting in the latest fad LS Chevy swap!

Any help is greatly appeciated!

Ed,

You need to determine just exactly what '35 Packard your friend has, 120, Eight or Super Eight? And what the '40 Engine/trans came out of, 120, 160 or 180? If both are 120's then it should be a relatively straight forward swap. Although the '40 trans will be a column shift while the '35 is a floor shift, so use the '35 trans. The other engines are inherently "different" but it should be possible to change them over.

I think I can say that any 1940 engine won’t be an exact match for a 1935.  Super Eights, 37-39 were close and crankcases were the same, blocks with minor differences . 1940 was a different engine.  A rebuild of his engine may be in order...

I'll second what Ozstatman says - it really depends! If it's a 120, it is almost a near bolt-in. Senior Packard, I know there are a lot more differences, but my knowledge ends there.

Good luck!

Interesting that the 120 would swap, so my comment is incorrect for a 120.  I’m fairly certain Senior engines of those years are not a bolt in swap, surely someone know for sure...

"Senior" engines 1939 and prior had separate aluminum crankcases together with a cast iron cylinder block which bolted to the rankcase. While 1940 and later 356's were a new design being "enbloc" with the crankcase and cylinders cast in one piece. I expect you knew that already.😉 I "think" the 356's had a yoke type front engine mount "similar: to the 120's. Whereas the engine mounts on the '39 Seniors and prior were different. Bellhousing and transmissions were also different.

You guys pretty well covered it. However the spectre of a 356 in an early 120? Thanks for ruining my day! I'm going to be thinking of the possibilities now, I mean think about it, an early 120 with 12cyl HP? Be still my heart!

On 6/1/2021 at 2:03 AM, Highlander160 said:

However the spectre of a 356 in an early 120? Thanks for ruining my day! 

Packard issued General Service Letters for the retro fitting of 288 engines in RHD 120's if a replacement 120 engine was not available. if you can do it with a 288, then a 327 or 359 would also fit. If you could do it with a 288/327/359 then a 356 is also possible. This LINK will take you to the GSL's over on PackardInfo.com(Having trouble linking to them directly).