Help with gas in the sump

oldford

I have an interesting problem with my Ford Model B engine.  I placed this same question on the Ford Barn forum, but I thought it may get more exposure here. I first put a fuel pump on the car because my pair of Stromberg 81's seemed to be starving for fuel with the gravity feed. Sure enough, the pump cured the problem. Some time later, I needed to change the oil and discovered the sump had about a quart too much oil, and it was very thin. I had gas in the oil. Thinking this must have come from a ruptured pump diaphragm, I had another core rebuilt and put that on. Now it is about 1 1/2 years since and it has happened again, about a quart over, contaminated with gas. It's hard for me to believe that this pump has the same issue, but how else can the gasoline get into the sump? Any ideas??

Frank

What is the fuel pump pressure you record with tester? sounds to me like it's blowing past needle and seat or float level is off. If a float leaks and fills up with gas it sits on bottom and fuel blows past the inlet needle. I know on my flathead v-8s 3 lb is about as much as one needs.

I'll have to measure the pressure. It seems to me that if that much gas is coming from a stuck needle/seat, I'd be running flooded all the time. You may be right, a measurement would tell. There are no symptoms of a flooded engine here.

Frank

Stromberg have a poor needle & seat design, sideways doesn't promote sealing and they'll let fuel dribble past them, take the tops off when they are hot and you can watch it happen without the engine running.

Holley 94 would be the better choice.