Clutch transmission

I’ve renewed the multi plates in my 1921 Dodge Touring. Also rebuilt the throw out bearing assembly, re and re the transmission. 

The changing of gears is fine when the vehicle is not running, when the vehicle is started and idling, at different RPM s . The transmission grinds at every position. With the clutch depressed or trying to change gears without the use of the clutch.I have 600 wt oil in the tranny. It is filled to the main shaft. 

Any experts out there that could share their experiences.

getting desperate for some help.

Nino, I've had this problem in several pre-1930 cars. I have found if I drain out half of the 600 Wt. oil and add back the remainder with STP oil treatment, it will make close to a 1200 Wt oil and seems to do the trick. Others may have a much smarter idea, so let's wait and see.  --Pete.

Are you sure you have the clutch lever adjusted properly?  It sounds as if the clutch is not releasing fully.  The thicker oil helps to drag along the layshaft when in 3rd gear (which helps if you try to downshift without grinding from 3rd to 2nd).  I wouldn't expect it to make that much difference when the car is not moving (putting it in gear with clutch applied).

Edited by MikeC5 (see edit history)

2 hours ago, MikeC5 said:

Are you sure you have the clutch lever adjusted properly?  It sounds as if the clutch is not releasing fully.  The thicker oil helps to drag along the layshaft when in 3rd gear (which helps if you try to downshift without grinding from 3rd to 2nd).  I wouldn't expect it to make that much difference when the car is not moving (putting it in gear with clutch applied).

That and maybe the idle is set too high.