hydraulic brakes not working

TomTIII

30 Ford, converted to hydraulic brakes...worked fine when I put it up on blocks for the winter...brake pedal went to the floor & it didn't stop... checked & topped off the reservoir (it was down 3/4)... still nothing...pedal goes to the floor:-(  any ideas?

in the past, with other vehicles, topping off took care of it in most cases braking was restored, although I sometimes have had to bleed air. but never no brakes

I have seen brake wear consume brake fluid.  Park the car somewhere where you can check for leaks or put cardboard under the car.  If the fluid level is up and the pedal is still going to the floor, with no leaks, it is the master cylinder, yes the seal can go bad over the winter.  I am assuming it is a single master cylinder car, pre 1966ish?

Edited by Graham Man (see edit history)

On 5/22/2021 at 9:48 PM, keiser31 said:

Be certain to adjust the brakes prior to bleeding them again.

While I agree that is a good first step usually, in this case they worked before it slept, so there was no wear of the linings in storage. 

Find the leak. If no leak, then the master cylinder is bad (internally bypassing, but, wait, there would have been no loss of fluid if that was the only failure). I'm with Zeke, that much fluid loss should be visible. 

• Like 1

That line of rust along the bottom of the master cylinder is evidence of a fluid leak that ate the paint and the moisture absorbed by the fluid rusted the iron.  Repair or replace your master cylinder.  ;)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1