Was the AACA site hacked?

f.f.jones

There were three or four foreign language [Japanese, Korean ??] entries on this site Friday night, but disappeared Saturday morning without notice or explanation. What was that all about and does it happen often? Was there an issue of national security regarding old cars? Was a ransom in bitcoin paid? Are all of opur computers and phones infected? Are the Feds involved?  

Spammers like to spam the site from time to time. Whenever you see any spam please click on the three small dots in a horizontal line at the top right corner of the spam post and select the "report" option. When you report the spam, the moderators will receive a notification about the spam and will then remove them. I reported a bunch of spam posts this morning, which are probably the same ones that you saw last night. I assume nobody bothered to report them before this morning. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Peter Gariepy said:

Just spam.  Not a hack. 
not out of the ordinary. 
no risk for you. 

@Peter Gariepy is correct. Any site that gets a reasonable amount of traffic gets this kind of spam. Mine generally gets more Russian-language comment spam, but whatever …

… just a cost of doing business.

As has already been noted, the term "hack" is generally used when someone else takes control of the site.  Not the case here - we do get lots of spam however, and moderators do an outstanding job deleting those and locking out the spammers.  Trouble is, they are like bad weeds-they keep popping up. Sometimes, that initial spam blast is not even a real human.  It can all be done by computer.

Terry

• Like 1

I just banned another PM spammer. Always be suspicious of a new forum members with just a few posts sending you a private message offering parts for sale. Be cautious and don't get scammed! If you get a PM that seems fishy click the report button and moderators will check it out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1