1937 ford flat head

tml

The generator cut out is a relay that energizes when the generator output voltage is greater than the battery voltage. It typically is not adjusted.  What is adjusted is the third brush on the generator.  The brush is movable and is usually set to provide 7.3 volts to the battery with the engine running at fast idle.  Third brush generators with cut out relays to not regulate based on load, they are more of a fixed output system.  Just enough to keep the battery charged but not so much that it causes the battery water to evaporate quickly.

thanks terryb. reason why asking about gen. cut ,when i drive the 37 which is every day,i usualy have to run my head or driving lights otherwise a little puddle of batt fluid the size of a half dollar pukes out of no1 batt cap. tom.

• Like 1

thanks TerryB. yeah running lights seems to work and probably keeps me more visable to all that are distracted drivers. so i guess to solve the over charge adjust the gen brush?

2 minutes ago, tml said:

thanks TerryB. yeah running lights seems to work and probably keeps me more visable to all that are distracted drivers. so i guess to solve the over charge adjust the gen brush?

Yes, you might want to check with a Ford specific form for the exact details for your generator.  The general procedure is to locate the third brush by taking the band off the generator that covers the brushes and looking for a brush with a screw holding it in place.  Loosening it allows you to rotate the third brush. One direction of rotation will increase the charge and the opposite direction will lower it. Some people do this with the engine running.  Got to be careful with that!

thanks very much TerryB. early last spring i got rid of my last harley,and started a new pastime/hobby with the 37 fordor.its petty much all original. quite a few new repro parts. its a very nice driver.i have done a number of improvments myself,such as a new carb,turn sigs. front seat belts,do all my own service so far. learned how to adjust mech. brakes. i am the 3rd owner the 85 yr. old man before me had owned since 1956. tom.

• Like 1

For your original generator the third brush will be the one closest to the top of the generator. You shouldnt need to loosen any screws for this adjusment. To lower the charge rate you want to rotate the brush opposite the direction the pulley rotates. So if you're facing the front counterclockwise.