not mine: Straight 8 and Transmission

Edwin The Kid

8 hours ago, 2carb40 said:

1948 or newer side-mounted. Wide belt pulleys would indicate possible '48-'49 dont know exact year narrow belts started, 50-51? I suppose when stock started running out of wide belt pulleys?

Agree with Gregg.   1948 or 1949  248.   Water pump changed in 1950.

Not badly priced and transmission too.  

Ben

11 hours ago, Roger Lee Marshall said:

hello, newbie with '47 buick 248 straight 8 needing rebuilt. Anybody know who rebuilds , close to daytona, fla.?

Hey good to see str 8's being revitalized. Just a couple ideas to consider during rebuild. I had my cylinder head milled .080. Read you can go .125. With the speed of traffic just drivn' round these daze its safes to have ad much power as you can build in since your rebuilding already. Compression increase is your quickes/cheapest route. Check pushrod length to maintain valve train geometry. Stock connecting rods are babbitt bearing. 1950 248" had insert bearing rods or Terrill Machine in TX can convert yours. Clutch work by Clutch Dr. In North Branch,MN(Trevor) is an excellent resource if your car is standard shift. Crankshafts are different between stick and dynaflow engines, care needed if choice is emgine replacement instead of rebuild. Pm me if you need more info. Good luck on project. What model/body style are U werkn' on, if I may be indulged in my noseyness?

Edited by 2carb40 (see edit history)

I have a 35 Buick with a straight eight not too far from you in Port St. John Florida and mine has the wide belt pulleys. You're welcome to come look at it. Also a man named Jim Nelson on this forum in Tampa has a couple of old Buicks who is pretty knowagable.Greg.

mine is a 1947 buick super sedanette,stored for 46 years or something.block was stuck and after a month of pb blaster , trans fluid and diesel fuel it started to turn.one valve rocker tip was broken off, i got a rocker on ebay, same lenth looks the same but no idea what engine its out of. Really enjoy working on it! Roger

3 hours ago, Roger Lee Marshall said:

mine is a 1947 buick super sedanette,stored for 46 years or something.block was stuck and after a month of pb blaster , trans fluid and diesel fuel it started to turn.one valve rocker tip was broken off, i got a rocker on ebay, same lenth looks the same but no idea what engine its out of. Really enjoy working on it! Roger

Check by the distributor and there is a machined surface on the block that will have a series of numbers STAMPED on it. Post those numbers and someone will identify your block.