The Cars That Built the World - History Channel - 4 part series

Cars didn't 'build the world'.  Trucks did, and still do!

Cars (along with the highway network that trucks built) only let one have more opportunity to SEE the world.

Craig

• Like 2

Well, I don't find much history on the History Channel, but one can always hope...

Sounds like the emphasis is going to be more about the people instead of the cars, but one can always hope!

Online description:

"The Cars That Built The World tells the story of a group rival engineers who created a revolution in transportation and forever changed the world in the process. Driven by innovation and rivalry, their genius created the most transformative invention of the 20th century, spawning new industries and bringing about a freedom never imagined before the birth of the car. Exploring over a century of innovation and covering Honda, Toyota, Mercedes, Ford, Porsche, Rolls Royce and more, these are the dramatic stories behind the biggest names in the auto industry."

Remember, History Channel programming (or any other mainstream programming) is never made for experts or enthusiasts on the topic.  These shows are for people who have an interest in the topics covered and are wanting to learn something, simply be entertained, or both.  Experts on the matters will inevitably complain, unless they understand the intended audience and take it in accordingly.

I will watch it knowing what to expect, and, and long as there is a picture or video included of an old car, I will enjoy it.

• Like 5

This is one of a series,   "...  that built America"

They are very interesting and informative.

Other programs involve Trains, Steel manufacture, Electricity, Foods and others.

Well worth watching! 👍 B)

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Agree is entertainment and better than most of the alternatives (Hollywood seems to have stopped making good movies, just watched "Bringing Up Baby" again and is hilarious. And who can forget Jimmy Durante kicking the bucket. Just not the same now.

So will probably tape and watch when can fast forward the commercials. Wonder how many times they will show the same pictures.

ps just set my recorder and are three different series on:

The Cars That Built the World

The Cars That Made the World

The Cars That Made America (was this one on in 2017 ?)

Guess they do not teach proper English any more "Two-Night Event Sunday, May 23"

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to The Cars That Built the World - History Channel - 4 part series
12 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

Cars didn't 'build the world'.  Trucks did, and still do!

Cars (along with the highway network that trucks built) only let one have more opportunity to SEE the world.

Craig

Trucks were just another tool, the people built the World

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, I looked at episode 1 and it starts off showing a 1931 Model A slant windshield town sedan.  The date showing on the screen is 1927. 

Think I'll go work in the garage instead.

Terry

• Like 6

1 hour ago, John348 said:

Trucks were just another tool, the people built the World

And if they were anything like my bald-head ancestors, they did it all the hard way! Even after there were trucks and other machines to make it easier!

I enjoyed the "Foods that built America" series. I've watched bits and pieces of others. Mass market entertainment, sure, but not like that lowest common denominator mess aimed at "car people". Wish I could restore a car in a week...

Fun in AC when garage is too hot. Is nice to have no schedule.

ps with ten people on call, a like number of suppliers overnighting stuff, and bolting right to rust...

I will watch it and with all the shows i watch on tv, i leave my expectations out.

most of the shows on there i have actually enjoyed. if i learn one thing then its has value :) and i am smarter 😛 

• Like 4

History lite. I love how they recycle scenes from the food show to the car show and so forth. And I love the scene where John Z, GM at Pontiac, goes street racing in a ....Buick?!?

The casual watcher never realizes the gaffs; but they are fun to spot. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Nothing else on since it is summer rerun time so I took the time to watch most of one show - as mentioned here , it is "sort of" correct and accurate as much as entertainment can allow.  I feel I can often be more critical then most due to my years of research into vehicle history ( goes beyond cars & trucks, also includes roads, bridges, industrial buildings built or used by manufacturers related to the auto industry, junkyards etc) and then writing about it.  I realize history of anything can get pretty boring if not given some flair beyond the facts. It is like writing a story/article - it needs to be a "good read" to capture and sustain interest and also generate some desire to remember what you read or just watched. Most programs just "entertain" - one of my favorite history programs that was to me the best presentation of any history ever done was the series called Hollywood , it was a Thames Television series by Kevin Brownlow and David Gill. done in the 1970s. Later a book by the same name was published in 1979.

WG

Well, they tend to go for LCD in a lot of the tripe they spew out...

My Grandma who never learned to drive knew the difference between a 55 Chevy and a 56 Mercury though. And John Z street racing in a 64 LeSabre...

To the LeSabre scene's credit it got me thinking and asking questions about 64 Buick ST400 shift patterns, so it wasn't a total waste!😺

'Course now we AACA types will forever have to beat our brains out to convince the ign'ant that a 1956 Mercury is not a 1955 Chevrolet🙃. "But I saw it on HISTORY Channel!"

Yeah, and I grow weary of facing off with those who want to revise history to suit their own inaccurate narrative. You think car history is bad, you should see what the American Civil War historical community deals with daily.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks Glenn, your last two sentences say it all, thank you.  History is 'dumbed down' to suit a purpose or situation, most of the time to justify someone's opinion because they consider themselves an expert.  As you refer to the American Civil War , many people here reading this have a great interest in other history besides vehicles. As I have mentioned before, I have been the appointed historian for local history in the village that I reside in for decades. It is amazing what people "assume" is correct, or don't realize what happened in their own "back yard".  Growing up here in the 1950s I was never aware until later that the winner of the Vanderbilt Cup Race - George Robertson lived a 10 minute walk away from my house! Only later when I became friends with his son Crawford Robertson was this made known. Crawford, Austin Clark and I used to go to lunch about once a month for several years in the early 1970s.

Walt

Edited by Walt G
spelling correctio0n (see edit history)
  • Like 5

When I watch something about history I want to hear the facts, see the real people not actors and hear the real dialogue and not something a script writer with his own thoughts injects. There is plenty of documentation and footage of the REAL people in the auto industry to compile a story. It made me sick to see a actor portraying Ferry Porsche ( hell they couldn't even pronounce the name!) tearing the wings off a beetle to make a 356. They didn't even mention Erwin Komenda, Karl Rabe, and the VW's engine designer Franz Reimspeiss, hell, Reimspeiss also designed the VW logo!

Talk about misinformation TV. 

• Like 1