'65 Formula "V" wheels and brake drum painting

65VerdeGS

Here's the front aluminum brake drum as seen showing behind the stock chrome wheels:

image.png.944e594443b20a40a12789e25a3b37b7.png

Here's what my rear wheels look like, with the rusty cast iron brake drum peeking thru the slots of the wheel:

image.png.ab1f77679caa4c0d608795732fdd69d5.png

Questions:

1). Should I paint the rear drum with aluminum paint (after cleaning up the rust) so it 'matches' the look of the fronts?

2). Or, should I give homage to the truth and paint the rear drums with cast iron paint?  Some recommend "Seymour Cast Blast".  Has anyone used this to paint brake drums?

image.png.96b9d0e5092247a1d26d65bd776187ae.png

3). If I really want to go nuts, what type of paint should I use to repaint the center webs on my chrome wheels?  Mine is a '65.  Does anyone sell adhesive patterns to save time doing the complex masking that would be needed?

Thanks for your suggestions/advice.

Edited by 65VerdeGS (see edit history)

I usually paint the webs with a foam brush the color of your choice.  If you get paint on the spokes just use your finger to wipe it off or a clean rag rapped tghtly around your finger. IF you use your finger just wipe your finger off. Don't wait until it drys.  Much easier & much faster than spraying & taping.

Tom T.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Tom - good idea about using a foam brush instead of trying to mask and all that extra work.

Not afraid of paint on my finger - had lots of it over time!

Cheers!,

Precut adhesive patters for masking rally wheels of different types can be found on eBay. Be sure to specify the proper wheel type & size. I have used them & would give them a good review, but at the time I think I preferred, believe it or not, the Zen-like experience of hours of tedious masking. However ,Tom's method sounds like the way I would go today. As for the color, If you're concerned with originality the webs should be gray(or is it grey in Canada?) My'65 is a similar shade of dark metallic gray & I did not like the washed out look of the original color. I opted for a satin finish black, which I also used between the ribs on the clamshells, rocker trim, & the painted grille surfaces. (if you "Google Buick rally wheel images" you will find 99% of them are black) Gives a great contrast. I'm sure you can find different types of hi-tech paint for the job, but I used my old stand-by, Krylon satin w a satin clear coat. 10-12 yrs later still looks like new! I also struggled a bit over the drums, having the same problem w rusty rears. I ended up painting the rears w hi-temp aluminum. IMO it will be better if they match the front.                                                                                                   Anyhoo, good luck & let us know how it goes.    Drew

Hi 65VerdeGS -

(2) For the rear drums just go with "rattle can" Cast Grey paint after a clean up, They will look a lot better than plain brown rust !

It also looks like the chrome road wheels will need a refurb. as the Black Painted inserts are showing through the "Pewter Gray" painted inserts.

A few hours with masking tape and 1/2 hour on each wheel will have them all matching again, or simply "touch up" the areas where the black is showing through !

The front drums on my '67 show evidence of what looks to me like black paint applied by the factory (judging from the overspray pattern).  I thought of removing the paint and leaving them bare aluminum, however, finally decided to dust them with flat black to 'freshen' their appearance.  I similarly sprayed the rear drums, however, cast-iron grey would also look good (better than red oxide)...

• Like 1

A number of years ago Tom T(errific) told me how to adapt aluminum front drums to the rear by using backing plates from a 56 era Buick.  The cars from that era used the same size rear drums as the front drums on a first generation Riviera. The 56 backing plates allow for The additional width. You'll need to do some minor machine work to the drums.  I have all the pieces, but they're still on a shelf. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, EmTee said:

The front drums on my '67 show evidence of what looks to me like black paint applied by the factory (judging from the overspray pattern).  I thought of removing the paint and leaving them bare aluminum, however, finally decided to dust them with flat black to 'freshen' their appearance.  I similarly sprayed the rear drums, however, cast-iron grey would also look good (better than red oxide)...

You are correct. The factory applied black paint to the front and rear drums when chrome wheels were installed.

Tom Mooney

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

You are correct. The factory applied black paint to the front and rear drums when chrome wheels were installed.

Tom Mooney

Wow, I didn't know that. I thought my 65 is supposed to have natural, unpainted drums. Was '67 different?