Wheel alignment question- Model A Ford

Pete O

Are there any wheel alignment gurus out there?  I'm having issues with the left front tire wearing faster than all the rest.   Toe in is spot on, caster and camber are close to specs., which are:  Caster max. 6 1/2º min. 3 1/2º Camber max. 2º min. 1/4º Camber plus side inclination max. 9º min. 8 1/4º Toe-in 3/32 Toe-out 15º turn:  17°, 20º turn: 23 3/4° Tolerance 1/2º.

To check the toe out on turn I put the front tires on turntables with degrees marked off. These are my results:
when I turn the right wheel in 15° the left turns out 17°- ok!
when I turn the right wheel in 20° the left turns out 23 1/2°- close to the 23 3/4 spec!
when I turn the left wheel in 15° the right turns out 17°- ok!
when I turn the left wheel in 20° the right turns out 19° BAD!

Is this telling me that the steering arm on the right side is maybe bent? It seems to me that with these results I should be seeing more wear on the right tire, not the left, as the right tire isn't turning in enough and would be scrubbing.  But should I look at it like this: If I turn the right wheel out to the 23 1/2° mark, the left wheel is showing 25° So when I'm turning right, the left wheel, which is the one that is wearing too quickly is turning in too much? I'm so confused!

The turntables are free floating. I also noticed that when I turned to the left, both turntables stayed centered, but when I turned to the right, the left turntable moved forward from it's previously centered position. Is this telling me that the king pin inclination on the left is off so that it's not intersecting the ground at the center point of the tire?

You definitely have SOMETHING bent.  Do a bunch of compare measurements like how far from the wheel to the tie rod pivot. I'm guessing it's the left spindle assem, but needs more checking. 

• Like 1